Archinect
anchor

Desert modernist hotels

frankencense

I'm looking to spend a weekend soon at one of the palm springs area modernist hotels, but I'd like some Archinect opinions. Anybody been to / heard things about any of these:

Movie colony hotel
Ballantine's hotel (Albert Frey)
Miracle Manor (Rotondi)
Orbit In Oasis, Hideaway
Del Marcos hotel

Know of any others?

Sep 23, 04 3:20 am
bardot

There's also the latest KOR group/Kelly Wearstler creation. The name of it escape me at the moment.

There was an article in the NY times about Palm Springs modernist motels/hot springs in the last 2 years. If you did a search on their website for Palm Springs it would probably come up.

Sep 23, 04 3:45 am  · 
 · 
sam sung

I stayed here:

http://lautnermotel.com/

and I loved it. Lautner designed the small motel in the 1940's. Each room has a private garden, you sleep with your head under a skylight so you can look at the stars. The rooms get beautiful light throughout the day. Sunrise and sunset in the rooms is amazing.

Sep 23, 04 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
hoodlam

yes the lautner hotel would be my first choice as it is not only beautiful but was also designed by lautner and since you want to stay at a modernist hotel why not one actually designed by a modernist. I have been to the Orbit Inn Oasis and it was pretty nice as well.

Sep 23, 04 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
allcaps

Another vote for the Lautner Motel. That private catus garden provides round-the-clock excitement (it is lit at night). Very subtle section action going on.

It may be my favorite room I've ever been in.

The guys who run the place are really cool -- as is the lautner video in your room.

Also, if you ask, they give discounts for architecture students. Or they did a couple of years ago.

Sep 23, 04 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: