Archinect
anchor

MAD, you drive me mad

archjimmy

Did a look at Yongsong Ma (the partner of MAD) on Sci-Arc's lecture video site. the lecture is on March 2008.

http://www.sciarc.edu/lectures_archive.php (click the panel right-aside on year 2008).

the entire 72:41 mins lecture is about his new book, , and the whole book is made up by two parts, 50% is filled with the articles by the persons he invited, and the rest is about his repeated-undergoing-funny projects.

another thing I get shocked is about his English skill and careless wording. Does he spent his entire two years all in pubs in New heaven? His presentation skill is full of gramma mistakes and his wording, sometimes very easy-to-be misleading.

1. when he talked about one of invited guest in his book, Yimou Chuang, he introduced him as the man who directed "Hidden Dragon, Crouch Tiger". I guess this would piss of An Li, who is the actual director, and embarrased Yi mou as well, since he has no interest to steal An's masterpiece, how careless it is?

2. when he talked about how he accomplished 100 competitions cases in one year, he is sort of showing himself. We all know, the quantity always has nothing to do with the quality. also, on that year, he is still "nobody", and tought in a Chinese art design school, hired a lot of students and interns to finish his funny ideas. And these great 100 cases, mostly from inland China, committed by the commercial clients, set to aimming for the entry-fee. So 100 is just a number, does not mean anything, if does, that is means the way to survive.

3. when he talked about the reason why they decided to premake the house in Shanghai and ship to Denmark, he reponded like this: China is all in a low-qaulity, cheap cost, and mess up situation. Yes, that is ture, the construction situation in China is not so optimistic these days, but China do has some high-quality and good-control construction firms like Zhongjian (in charge of CCTV headquarter), and they do tons of good jobs. also, I hope he did not expel Hongkong outside. Maybe, it is better to put some word like "SOME SITUATION IN CHINA" in your reponsible speech. Weird point is, if you really do give less credits to China, why do you choose to premake that funny house in Shanghai?

4. when he talked about his pround 800 meters highest building competition in Guangzhou, he said he knew before this entry that MAD is not going to win, so they decided to play. What? you want to put that sort of attitude in the serious project? So if you do not want to win this competition, why do you want yo attend? I hope you refuse to recieve the entry fee, and I guess I am wrong, you get it in seconds. And the theory about that highest building, is funny: to bend a 800 meter high building into two 400 connected loop? it is not a highest building anymore, and I do not think any thing new here. Compare to eissenman's loop highrise or OMA's CCTV. nothing new and nothing need to show off.

5. Talking about the Qingyun Ma, he said Ma is a person of less interesting of design, actually, Ma knows more and cares more design than mostly does. Also Ma is a good critical to chanllegn the Problems and try to redefined them. While, MAD's job has nothing to do with the design and nothing to do with the Problems.

MAD, I am very sorry that I could not wait to enjoying your entire speech on my computer, since the smell of my coffee on the table is better than yours.

If you want to sell your funny book, go to Amazon and open a free marketplace and lowdown the price, maybe someone would come by and take a look. But, before you make a contact with ACTAR next time, try to remind them that how much funny the content is, and make sure that deserve 50$. I could talk to the person you invited one by one, since most of them are not from architectural area and I could get their opinion through google, and also, your funny projects, as another 50% of the book, I could visit your webpage for free if I want to. So why do I need pay for 50$ on your Dinner book, sort of information-collected without not any "secret recipes".

MAD, if you want to sell your ideas, you should sell them in a high-school lecture room because the Sci-Arc lecture room should be the dam-good place where both the lecturers and audiences get informed and inspired. I guess I just do not get it, about the essence of your design. When I was in US,UK,EU,China, you always made the same speech, the same slides. There is nothing new, we do not see any new stuff in your design and you know I am not talking about how many projects you would collect next year. You simply has not formed your own identity and you even could not distinguish yourself from Hadid style, you just repeated your projects in every presentation in every place.

MAD, if you want to do sth really leading, do you best, do not be so hasten to be famous, you are still too young to stand on that postition. that is too heavy for you. The reason why you showed no-confidence in your lecture is because you do not have too much left in your head. you know and we know. But that is not an issue, the issue is your real applause and rewarding would come to you when you are ready for it, BUT before that, I would suggest you calm down, do sth innvotive and do sth creative. no more copy, no more paste.

Guys, if you want to give a furthe understanding of how good MAD is, go and visit his website by google.

But if you want to know how Dam-good the other less-wellknow chinese architects are, please goes here,

http://www.fcjz.com/main.htm
http://www.urbanus.com.cn/cn/main.htm
http://www.jiakun.com

those architects, they are quiet, they are in a peace, they may not have too many interesting or chances to speak too much in public, but they always feel confident, and they do real design.

Jul 29, 08 2:39 am
logon'slogin

you mostly right trendy architect posers for trendy posing arckitenct diploma schools but fulck you too fluck chinna fuk all of yu uselezz self promoteers jimmi jingo

Jul 29, 08 3:11 am  · 
 · 

amazing

Jul 29, 08 4:03 am  · 
 · 
walldrug

irony? much? ...the second architect seems interesting, had problems accessing all three websites though.

Jul 29, 08 8:51 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

wow...for a second i thought i had some haters already.... fiu!

Jul 29, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i thought their japanese partner is the brain of the company and the rest are connections because of their father in high power at china? no?

Jul 29, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

gotto love the name 'URB-ANUS'

Jul 29, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
archjimmy

First, do not feed the trolls in this post.

thx

MADianito,

Sorry for that, hahahah

Walldrug,

linkage is fine, check again.

aspect,

his father has no connections. Not sure about the female partner. but the Japanese guy has left for Tokoyo already, due to the design fee distribution issue......

Jul 29, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

This post is very hard to follow, and kindof ridiculous. Honestly, it just seems that you are jealous of MAD if anything else. I can't quite fish out any concrete content from your slam of their office/YongSong Ma that would suggest a genuine critique of the practice. Its very hard to follow what you said--regardless of the argument you're trying to make, you didn't do a very good job.

If you are offended or feel the reverse-nationalism he displays towards China is unjustified, then be clearer about your point and also address why he should not feel that way. Because having lived/worked in China myself, I would tend to agree with YongSong 9 times out of 10 when comparing the standards of construction with the rest of the world. There are some brilliant exceptions, but its going to be a few years before top quality stuff is going to be regularly built/fabricated there without some 'tweaking'...

It also seems silly to call him out on his rush to be famous- let the man try, if thats what he is after. The larger community will decide his fate; if its 'too heavy' for him then he'll find that out the hard way and have a rude awakening, but it seems like he's doing fairly well for himself in a very cut-throat and difficult field so i would tend to go with the classic 'don't hate the player, hate the game' response to that. Sure, the designs lack the refinement of a true master, but maybe that will come in time-- should he just not try anything until he's 50? regardless, even in this somewhat immature state it sure beats the hell out of 99.9% of shit being built just about anywhere- including by architects. MAD is at least trying to do some things that are pushing the envelope. It seems like their main focus is form, so let them go for it and see what they come up with--not many offices in China (or even anywhere else) that are working at this level of formal conjecture--if that's not your thing, fine, but don't get cranky and hose him with phrases lacking any real critical content like "your designs have no essense", "they are funny", etc. last i checked, architects will say anything they want about what they make. That doesn't mean one way or another that the project is of critical, disciplinary, etc. importance or not.

finally, the arrogance factor is certainly not unique either. Go to any lecture by one of the hot young (male) designers, and you will probably, (not always!) be met with the same.

Jul 30, 08 9:11 am  · 
 · 
archjimmy

ks,

Why I need to be jealous of him? The only way to be jealous of someone is because you want to be someone. Thank you, I has no interest to be anyone esp him, and I simply enjoy my work even just in a small/boutique office.

I am sorry for sort of lost you felt in this post. Give me more time and let me study his book and projects again, and I promise to give you a clear point.

Actually, I have a point here, the point is how to see the essence of his work, and what is that?

I never say his work is rubbish and I agree with you that MAD at least, is doing sth pushing sth. But if that is the sth, that is sth I doubt. As today's China is filled with too many big icons done by foreigner architects, and mostly are unrelated to the Chinese culture and its context. The point is, I do not think MAD is doing sth special on this tendency. I even do not know where he pushes to? I assumed that he should be the person to challenge this tendency, like Qingyun Ma tried, but I do not tell too much from his Hadid-style jobs.

I also agree with you about giving more space for his great leap forward. Sure, why not? However, if he realized our patience and tolerance, perhaps he should at least show a good attitude, the attitude to be careful and responsible for his saying, writing and doing. I am so happy to see his winning in Canada highrise and truly pround of him. And I am always waiting for the next one. And the more I saw them, the more I got lost. Also, his impatience and rush-selling ideas already gives him lots of negations. For example, I do not understand what is the essence and content of the dinner book? Is this about the Chinese dinning culture and the contemporary speedily Chinese situation? If that it is, why the whole arguments is composed by the projects and other invited artists? where is the critical thoughts? It is sort of magazine like <content>? ...I probably should redo a very good job to figure out that.

The intention of this post, if there is, is not only to showing "un-postivte" points, but to be critically pushing MAD thinking about his jobs from the other side. Sorry for my picky and I know it is none of my business, but MAD has already put himself on the position where many eyes stared at. And he speaks aloud in public and that drives me, one of lots, to digest it, chew it before swallow it.

finally, I guess, if still could not see the essence of this job before his 50’, I would still give the “funny’ on his jobs like this.

Jul 30, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

you mostly right trendy architect posers for trendy posing arckitenct diploma schools but fulck you too fluck chinna fuk all of yu uselezz self promoteers jimmi jingo you drive me mad go wtach
http://www.youranus.com

Jul 30, 08 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

aj,

you raised some completely fair potential criticisms of the work. I just get frustrated when people slam forward-thinking designers and don't give very cogent reasons of why. But I agree MAD's agenda at this stage is quite suspect, and i also agree it makes me want to look into them more to see what the deal really is. I find projects like the fishbowl (though he parades it around a bit much) quite provocative. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt when he explains it due to a loss in translation. However, a decent portion of the work does seem to lack a strong base at this stage. Again, this is not unique to MAD- but its good to be earnestly critical of work which seems to get a lot of attention.

Jul 31, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

works not interesting, looks familar, something that had been done a number of times, lots of references to zaha style...

i won't bother to waste my time to hear what they have to say.

Jul 31, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
archjimmy

just get this from Dezeen, and impressed by the feedbacks.

http://www.dezeen.com/2008/07/30/sinosteel-international-plaza-by-mad/#comment-161827

another icon in Tianjing, perfect chance to be an leading green highrise in China or something else potentially, well, finally end up with the funny skin and big icon effect.

Jul 31, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
bendang

Wow, the last two paragraphs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for introducing, we are so flattered

Aug 31, 08 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
bendang

Some thing I should tell u guys is, MAD never speak loud in Chinese architecture academic public, but much much more in general public like fashion magazines, newspapers. So u may know why he is doing this. Because what he did has nothing worth saying in academe, the reason why he speaks a lot in US acadamic public is he want fame and report about " MAD gave a speech in XXXX US famous architecture school,"bla bla bla, that would give him fame in Chinese general public and government. He doesn't really care if his speech in SCI-ARC etc is successful, coz none will know and understanding what was going on then in Chinese general public.
Thats why I am willing to call him public cheater. Transforming nonsense from western culture and selling them to Chinese public, does it looks like what CCP has done to China? hahaha :)

Aug 31, 08 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
bendang

plus to sameolddoctor

If u say so, URBANUS is really doing something to clean up URBAN'S ANUS. For basically, it is urbanus's design concept, considering architecture as urban issues on both social and physical levels, trying to fix Chinese contexts with design.
Thanks

Aug 31, 08 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Let's see, they are at it again...I almost puked.

http://www.dezeen.com/2008/09/11/superstar-a-mobile-china-town-by-mad/#comment-175529

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJ5l4w-Iqc

Am I missing something here? Is it meant to be humorous? I fail to see the "Chinese" and the "Mobility "in this "Mobile Chinatown"...And the concept is incredibly shallow with no depth or resolution. Maybe they just wanted to test out a sexy new rendering rig?

Sep 12, 08 1:16 am  · 
 · 
nappy

I am jealous of myself.

Dec 10, 08 7:11 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i want to combine madd and the naacp to create mothers against the advancement of colored people

Feb 11, 09 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: