Archinect
anchor

keeping up a high energy level

weem_of_crete

This question is basically geared towards CAD monkeys, but anyone can respond... I'm a CAD monkey and find it draining to do Autocad all day. The first couple hours are fine, but then I just start to slow down. Then I pound some caffeine to get back in the game, but that just makes me more jittery, to the extent that I end up cursing under my breath every time I hit "F1" by mistake and bring up the lovely "Help" window. So how does one survive in CAD monkeyland? Any tips on maintaining productivity?

Jul 28, 08 4:36 pm
holz.box

step one:

step two:

Jul 28, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

komucha
0 cafine
raw living organic foods

Jul 28, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Misen

Your CAD monkey days will count for something one day. Remember that. Sometimes when I'm throat deep in specs, paperwork and phone calls, I miss my zen CAD monkey days. You can just tune out and click away. Hitting the space bar and hearing that special sound space bars make.

Having said that, cut down on the caffeine. Take your allotted breaks and stretch. Hm. Do you need a high energy level to be a CAD monkey? Just keep the big picture in mind and get in tune with how what you're working on fits into the overall project. It's all in the mind I think. Sounds like BS but it's you gotta do it, at least see why it's important.

Jul 28, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
RevisionV

really good advice from mishen above. Really.

If I would get paid the same to do cadmonkeying occassionally, I would do it.

Jul 28, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I hear good things about meth...

Jul 28, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
suwatch

at my old job i jammed a folded piece of paper into the edge of the f1 key so it was not hittable. worked for me...hope it helps you a little.

Jul 28, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i took the F1 key off the first day on the job, on any job

Jul 28, 08 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 28, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, inhale those plastic fumes!

Jul 28, 08 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Cut back on the caffeine after lunch, take a BRISK ten-minute walk - preferably outside - midafternoon, instead of sugar. it will give you an energy surge.

And apples.

Jul 28, 08 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
allSTAR

try BAWLS. its a good drink. i have it sometimes.

Jul 28, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
allSTAR

just to be clear
http://www.receiptupondeath.com/picutures/bawls_2up.jpg

Jul 28, 08 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
weem_of_crete

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the apples, and the bionic arm. I've been looking for a new arm ever since my father cut mine off with his light saber while we were doing a building walkthrough in Cloud City.

Jul 28, 08 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Oh man, I hit that damn F1 fucker ALL THE TIME. What a stupid shortcut. And AutoCad's help function sucks anyway. When was the last time you actually found something on there you needed, rather than finding it better and faster via Google?

sorry, digression.

as for me -- brisk 10 minute walk as lb suggested. amazing what wonders it will do!

that, and AUDIOBOOKS.

Jul 28, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans
Jul 29, 08 12:40 am  · 
 · 
zigfromsa

A lunch time jog or game of soccer does it for me, but then people look at me funny when I walk back in covered in grass stains and sweat...lazy buggers.

I never understood this aspect about North Americans, they spend all day inside at work or in class and then just sit around talking at lunch wtf?
Back home everyone and I mean everyone got out at lunch to walk, run, play sports or just stretch out on the grass. If you stayed in you were considered the weird one.

Jul 29, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

We would surf some crappy mid-day waves off Santa Monica Beach during our lunch hour. Every once in a while, water would leak out of our noses onto a drawing or model.

Jul 29, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

For those of you who can't stand F1: previously discussed, and solved (at least for whatever ACAD release was current back then).

Jul 29, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i recommend the edie sedgewick...

Jul 29, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh god vado. she is my dreeeaaam woman.

Jul 29, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

heath news today say sugary drinks cause diabetes. just avoid high fructose corn syrup and white grape juice, cheap fillers

Jul 29, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

just pace yourself and take a breather if you feel yourself fading. also - don't listen to people who try to push you to work faster - you'll get quicker at certain things later on (and make less mistakes) if you don't burn yourself out in the beginning.

IMO, it's like trying to sprint a marathon without any training. you'll probably do well the first 100 meters, but you've still got another 26 miles to go.

Jul 29, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

I found this guide for F1 troubles (acad 2006)

http://blog.jtbworld.com/2006/07/change-f1-from-starting-help-to-work.html

Jul 29, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

breakdance.....

Jul 29, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
d-arch

Big beefy headphones, lots of water, and eating small meals regularly.

Jul 29, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
herrarchitekt

Don't wear yourself, rather your adrenal glands out.

Take unique breaks each and every hour - long spans of time at the desk will wear you out more than you would imagine, and prove to be inefficient.

Jul 29, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the rule of thumb is 10 minutes away from the computer per hour.

you could spend those 10 minutes organizing the product library...

Jul 29, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I brush my teeth.

It's not uncommon to see me walk to the restroom with my toothbrush and Crest around 3 pm. It works wonders for me. It instantly wakes me up and keeps my breath fresh and minty.

Jul 31, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Not that you should be racing through things and making mistakes, but I actually do think working faster can be to your advantage. I have found when I get some task that I find boring and tiresome, If I work through it as quickly as possible and report back to my boss, he's essentially forced to give me something new. Sometimes the new task is really more of the same, but after awhile he tends to run out of that work and gives me something new, which is usually something they had kept for himself or for another higher up employee. Plus you get the added bonus of being a hard working employee, which may help you when it is time for raises, job advancement, etc. I know that sounds corny, and I don't always do it myself either, but when I do, I don't regret it.

Jul 31, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

do yoga

Jul 31, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Muay thai in the morning

Jul 31, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: