Archinect
anchor

Career Advice

in.flucx

Hey Archinect'ers!

I am a graduate student at University of London. I graduated from UNC-Charlotte in USA and went overseas to get my M.Arch. I was wondering what kind of career path the concensus would be? I have done lots of work in the construction/project management side of business but really really like design. I got offered a project manager position for 60k and a Intern Architect for 45k. I still have a year and a half to do on my IDP so what should I do? Be a project manager get all my IDP done and gain large amounts of experience in construction and then go work for a big firm as a project manager/designer? or what?

Jul 28, 08 3:31 pm
holz.box

my advice would be, if you went to london to get a master's...

stay in london or europe.

in which case, IDP doesn't mean shit (not that it really does anyway)

Jul 28, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
RevisionV

maybe someone else can give more detail on this but the u work in construction the harder it will be to shift to a career as a designer....

Jul 29, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

do what you love and do what it takes to get there.

if you like design more, you'll deal with the lower pay because you'll be happier with what you're doing. and you'll be more successful because you'll actually be really excited by what you're doing.

unless you think that by being a PM you can gain enough influence to get ahead as a designer later. i don't know if things work that way though.

Jul 29, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: