Archinect
anchor

NURBS

rok

Does any dedicated or BIM modeler comes close to NURBS modeling capabilities, user friendliness and alike to Rhino like:

Microstation (bentley V8)
Vectorworks
TurboCad

If Rhino would have parametric and BIM capabilities, would it be a superior solution to all of them??

Jul 17, 08 12:40 pm
Liebchen

Viz is being discontinued...users are being transitioned into 3dmax.

Jul 17, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Hmm I doubt any of the BIM modellers have that level of flexibility yet.

One of my biggest gripes with using Revit was that it was very restrictive, it allowed you to work well within rectinlinear forms, modelling convention construction methods, but I felt it was not suited for free form, unique solution work.

My experience was on Revit Structure version 3.0, so perhaps they have made advances since then, but the overall framework of the program didn't seem set up for it.

Jul 17, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

VisualARQ

http://www.visualarq.com/gallery.htm

Jul 17, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
rok

I know Visualarq-not good enough. It's just an add-on for basic architectural elements not exploiting fully the free-form capabilities..

I've been on the presentation of Revit: I agree-too restrictive..
If you want to have full modeling freedom, not having NURBS is not even an option. That's why I listed the modelers above, but on first glance, they couldn't come even close to Rhino in modeling capabilities.
Perhaps somebody have more in-depth knowledge and can proove me wrong. What about Form-z: I heard it is not too acurate...

Jul 17, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

combine it with Grasshopper ?

Jul 17, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
http://grasshopper.rhino3d.com/
Jul 17, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
rok

Yes, Grasshopper seems interesting and useful for generative modeling...

Jul 17, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
rok

yes, all in one package...

Jul 17, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
rok

and conceptual modeling, on same level as in Rhino

Jul 17, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

catia/digital project

Jul 17, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
rok

yes, CATIA, if you have the money....

Jul 17, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

money? try a torrent ;)

Jul 17, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Jayness

Digital Project does Nurbs very well, but is difficult to learn or pick up the program's interface. It's also mad expensive, but the platform's geometry modeler, built on Catia, is second to none, the only exception being solidworks.

Revit can import Rhino geometries and I've seen some complex stuff working well in Revit, no way can you build from scratch in Revit, it is terrible, almost useless as a design tool.

Jul 17, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

WildFire Pro Engineer too.

yes Rhino exports very well to Revit

Jul 17, 08 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Yes they are ending VIZ but they are transitioning to 3D Studio Max Design, which seems to be basically the same thing.

and Yes, Digital Project.

Jul 17, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

digital project is probably the best software package for this kind of application. a student license is fairly affordable ($150 for a year) and you get tech support along with it. i wouldn't recommend the cracked versions because they are more of a headache than they are worth, and yes, it's a pretty complicated interface to learn on your own.

Jul 20, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
rok

CATIA seems to pop-up over and over again as a possible solution. They have just released version 6. The architecture seems to be already in their focus. They have already a bundle for yachts. Yacht design is not so far away from more progressive architecture. Digital project is build on V5, so I think, especially regarding complicated interface, it's not such a good idea. Since CATIA V6 is on the market, it might be practically outdated...

Jul 21, 08 3:42 am  · 
 · 

if you are learning, then i wouldn't worry about being a version behind. digital project is complicated to learn but is still a MUCH easier interface than CATIA...in fact, it is CATIA , repackaged for architects.

Jul 21, 08 6:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: