Archinect
anchor

Week-long visit to a European country (with definitive purpose)

I'll be fortunate enough to be making a trip out to any European country as I wish to for 1 week, so I figured it be wise to make the most of the experience (as I've never been) by going with some kind of thought out plan. Rather than snapping pictures of iconic architectural buildings (most of which can be found over a quick Google search anyways), I was thinking of creating a research-based video, documenting a particular topic of interest.

Topic of interest at the moment:

Development of disaster relief efforts/technology.

My question to you all:

Which destinations might you recommend? (Please be specific)

Are there any individuals/organizations/institutions I ought to get a hold of?

Jul 19, 13 10:39 am
usernametaken

I'd recommend going to the Netherlands - look at all the water protection programs (like the Deltawerken, Afsluitdijk, the system of Polders) etcetera - try to get in touch with some people at the Rijkswaterstaat etcetera...

Jul 19, 13 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Join your nearest Architecture for Humanity chapter.
Jul 19, 13 11:58 am  · 
 · 
rotterdamarchitect

Hey man, originally Canadian but now living in the Netherlands but I would definitely recommend it:

1) water/flood management is the most advanced in the world here

2) lots of exciting modernist (1950s) and contemporary (1990s-) architecture here, a guidebook would do it (Rotterdam is worth seeing, also the Hague

3) Lots of historic architecture, and examples of new and old integrated together (both sucessfully and unsuccessfully)

4) generally a nice, easy place to visit, everyone speaks english, marijuana is legal etc. haha

Jul 19, 13 11:59 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

"Development of disaster relief efforts/technology"

What about Greece and life post-Olympics....? thats an economical disaster which truly affects cities, and politicians still think is a good way to trigger growth and wealth

Jul 19, 13 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Culinary, Italy. 

Jul 19, 13 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

"I was thinking of creating a research-based video, documenting a particular topic of interest.."

Female Blondes of Scandinavia.

Blondes, Sweden

Blondes, Finland

Blondes,  Norway

Blondes, Denmark

Enjoy!

Jul 19, 13 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

^ Been there, done that (except Finland). Short season, don't go after October unless all your research is under cover(s). Does Mrs. SDD concur?

Also Danish pastry in Copenhagen (put on 5 lbs) and crayfish with shots of Akvavit in Uppsala. A man's got to eat. too. 

Jul 19, 13 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

I was thinking the Netherlands too. I'm definitely going to look into that!

Jul 19, 13 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: