Archinect
anchor

Request for Some Advice

CerebralArms

Hello! I just graduated my third year earning my B.Arch. I am trying to figure out how I should go about in earning my License considering I can now begin collecting credits. However, I was wondering if you have any suggestions or advice at all?
For example, I don't know whether I should start collecting credits now considering I have an internship now or just wait until I graduate and do it all together? How should I get a mentor?
It's hard begin young. Thank you in advance.

Jul 14, 08 10:18 pm
Bloopox

There's no harm in starting your council record now, and you should really do it as soon as you can. NCARB has recently voted to stop allowing retroactive reporting of units earned more than 6 months before you report them, so the days of working until you have all your units and then reporting them at the end are nearly over.

It can sometimes be difficult to get enough units from a summer internship to meet the minimum duration requirements. You can't count anything from a job that lasted less than 8 consecutive weeks for no less than 35 hours per week, or for a part-time job it must be at least 6 consecutive months for no less than 20 hours per week. This makes it difficult to count student school-year jobs.

You should also be aware that even though NCARB allows you to start collecting units after your third year of a B.Arch program, some states still require a minimum of 3 full years of experience worked AFTER graduation. For example New York state will not generally allow any student jobs to count toward their internship requirement, and they require 3 full calendar years after graduation.

Your mentor can be somebody you've worked with, or a former teacher, or you can contact your local AIA chapter to see if they can refer you to someone. It's also ok for your current employer to serve as both your supervisor and your mentor at the same time - but it's not an ideal situation since it's better to have someone outside of your office who you can use as a neutral sounding board about work issues.

Jul 14, 08 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

graduating 3rd year....where the heck do you go to school....I want to enroll....cause I thought everything was 5 years... who knows I might get my BA before I retire.

Jul 14, 08 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
pressburg

Start with NCARB now if you can, it will take twice as long as you think.

Jul 15, 08 7:24 am  · 
 · 
over_under

pretty sure "graduated third year" means "finished third year"

anyway... it cant hurt to start collecting them now... personally i waited until this summer (just graduated ba arch) because i start grad school in the fall, and will have plenty of time in the next 2 or 3 summers to begin collecting credits... plus i havent decided if/how soon i really want to get certified.

Jul 15, 08 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: