Archinect
anchor

zoning

idiotwind

I was wondering how often your design has to change drastically just to be able to get the property zoned correctly for that particular type of building. Is it a problem in real practice that designs are never what the Architect wants them to be? How are you satisfied if you're having to conform to some 50 year old lady that has no clue about Architecture?

Jul 10, 08 8:51 pm
Ms Beary

I have a project where the entire exterior was practially dictated by the city planner. He insisted it look exactly like a previously approved project for the site. While the use didn't change, the plans and location on the site changed. The elevations are forced on the plans and I'm sure I'm the only one who knows how poorly this is all going to go together. The owner doesn't care, he just wants a building. This wasn't anything with a zoning change or design review board, this is just an arrogant city planner who knows best carrying out his gable roofed, faux stone vision for this particular 'burb.

Jul 11, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you may wanna check the zoning first before you design your brilliant building.

Jul 11, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

by the way i am almost 50.

Jul 11, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

fifty what?

Jul 11, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

well my point about that was by 50, you should have some insight and respect for architecture if you are someone saying what can and can't be built.

Jul 11, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i like your outlook teeter

Jul 11, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

zoning isn't based on opinions? not all zoning makes sense.

japan is so nice. zoning is performance based rather than prescriptive, so it is dead easy to meet requirements.

and there is no such thing as planning permission based on anything but the laws on the books - largely because planning here is not governed by anyone with authority. so there is nothing like what strawbeary describes.

nope, we have fucked up the cities of japan all by ourselves. no one to blame here but us. which is as it should be.

but we still change designs based on zoning. bldg heights, setback, Floor area, etc are all based on zoning regulations, as are materials, which have to be certified fire resistant etc etc etc....those things have a surprisingly big effect on design. still pretty minor though. easy to work with. if anyone was frustrated by zoning here i think they would need to take some kind of relaxing drug or other.

Jul 11, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

I work for a developer and the zoning ordinance basically dictates the entire "design process"=...read the code....count parking spaces..draw boxes..

Jul 14, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

there should be an architectural revolution

Jul 14, 08 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

three years ago my classmate won a competition to do 4 or 5 residential towers and masterplan for an area outside of beijing. there was no zoning set up yet, so the govt used her design as the zoning for future development in the area. consruction was completed about 2 years ago...don't know what happened since.

Jul 14, 08 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

thats awesome, jump. did he/she move there?

Jul 15, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: