Archinect
anchor

which plots faster: 24" or 36" rolls of paper?

24out1in

Hi all,

Quick question for everyone to settle the daily office debate:

When plotting, will a 24" wide roll of paper take longer to plot on than 36" wide roll?

argument 1: there are more passes by the printer heads - more time on 24"
argument 2: the sheet area is equal - same time

Anyone actually have proof?

Jul 10, 08 4:56 pm
Androohy

the only way you'd be able to prove that is if you timed it.
and WHO'd care soo much to actually do that................?

so therefore, there is no proof out there......unless the manufacturers have tested that out.

it'd say they're the same.....if you're talking about the same exact plotter, then they're the same...............
i dont feel like backing up my opinion with an explanation though.

:)

Jul 10, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

well you could do what HP has done, make 90% of their design jets 24" and have increased their speed without doing much and improve wear on the rubber belt drive. But personally I think the 24 is faster but I really don't know why.

Jul 10, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

I bet the difference is so negligible that your time spent discussing the matter here will offset any potential benefit.
It sounds feasible that you'd conserve (longterm) printheads by traversing the 24" dimension while straining the rollers with the longer feed.
Architects never cease to amaze me - they're great at making arguments and suck at making money. It's always best to move forward and not let your (our) OCD get the best of us.....

Jul 10, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

full color 24" high glossy, photo finish poster from illustrator???
vs
draft quality, single plot line drawings from acad????

i think this polemic has a really bad foundation

Jul 10, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

oh the line drwing on a 36" please, i forgot to add that

Jul 10, 08 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i would recomend ur office to take a walk outside in the real world for about 45 mins, and then sit for the remaining 15 in a cafe totalk about something else more interesting.... that would help for the office dynamics i guess

Jul 10, 08 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Although, you'd replace less rolls with a 36" versus a 24", so for the person whose job that is 36" is the way to go.

Just like all sorts of thing on my latest project - its not the materials, its the labor.

Jul 10, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Buy an Oce TDS-600 laser plotter. 30x42 in 18 seconds!

Jul 10, 08 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Sometimes I think faster plotters just lead to more waste.

Jul 10, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
spark

my logic would be that given paper of a consistent thickness, same diameter, etc. that 36" is more responsible - "GREENER" because there is more paper on each roll, longer roll life, less shipping,etc.

I agree with Synergy that faster plotters = more waste. We try to print a half size first before sending the large plots.

faster plotters = more last minute printing=theoretically more design time=theoretically = happier clients

Jul 10, 08 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

id go with a 36 or 42 over a 24 (and those numbers are not just for paper size but also bust size)

Jul 10, 08 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

sameolddoctor likes his ladies with rolls.

Sorry, had to go there.

Jul 11, 08 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
DesignKERN

draw by hand.

Jul 14, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: