Archinect
anchor

construction drawings... can you take them with you?

I am a little unclear as to what is considered the standard for presenting your work from previous firms when applying for a new job. I am currently a student, so when and if I apply for another job next summer, what is considered fair game in terms of construction documents? Can I present a floor plan on which several people worked over the course of the project? And also, what types of cd's would be best to show proficiency in CAD and construction (plans? wall sections? details?) I apologize if this has been covered before, though I could not find what I was looking for with the search function.

Jul 10, 08 4:01 pm
Gloominati

There are lots of threads about it, here's one with some good information:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=74154_0_42_0_C

In short the drawings are the property of the firm, and you should ask for permission to take any copies.

It's expected that you'll present drawings on which you did not do all the work. In fact employers would often like to see examples of how you worked in a team and discuss this with you.
Just be absolutely clear about your role on each project. If you had no design role and were simply the person who labeled the window shades then don't pretend to have done more! Similarly if you present elevations to help explicate the project, but you only worked on the floor plans, make sure to make that clear.

Sections and details are always helpful in demonstrating your construction knowledge. Construction photos and photos of the completed project and details are very useful if you have them. Bringing at least one complete CD set is usually a good idea - half-size is fine.

Jul 10, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

immediately when I saw this I thought if you can take them with you when you go on the other side ... lol funny where my brain went

Jul 10, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: