Archinect
anchor

Article: McNeel’s Flying Circus

Antisthenes
http://aecmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=237

There are a few basic models and principles that seem to permeate through 99% of the industry. But then there is Robert McNeel and Associates, a company that appears to swim against this tide like an Alaskan Salmon dodging all the hungry bears to the spawning grounds. The consensus from competitors is that it shouldn’t exist the way it is run, but somehow it does and very successfully.

all i can say is; Bring on Flamingo nXt!

Jul 9, 08 4:33 pm
induct

Hae you used version 5 yet?

Jul 9, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

This should be a news post..!

Jul 9, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

been using new accurender for 6 months - its great for quick production turnaround, lots of changes fast!

Its not the money shot program, but when you need a new render in 2 hours? Accurender.

Jul 9, 08 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

I swear by Rhino. that is Gods program

I prey Autodesk never buys it

Jul 10, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

because it is owned by the workers i doubt that would ever happen

Jul 10, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The more I read up about Rhino, the more I really want to learn it. Fuck Autodesk.

Jul 10, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
BrentJWatanabe

Rhino was conceived as an AutoCAD plugin...they had their chance to integrate and decided not to for whatever reason and thank goodness because I can't stand AutoCAD.

Jul 11, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i loved that Accumodel blew the doors off Mechanical desktop when it came out.

Jul 11, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

Any of you guys use rhino for 2D drafting? I did a full set of drawings using Rhino 4

Jul 11, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Thriller & Anti, i thought the urban legend was that Robert McNeel used to work at Autodesk and he splitted and went to setup McNeel

Jul 11, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i do The Thriller in Manila

since 3 summers ago.

MAD no he was a authorized reseller /trainer who wrote plug-ins

The article doesn't say nearly enough about the situation that autodesk cut them off from selling any more.

McNeel & Associates is now out of the AutoCAD dealership game. Autodesk moved to limit dealers selling out of fixed distance from their offices, which reduced their potential to grow, unless they opened multiple offices. Then the move to AutoCAD verticals arrived, with ever increasing targets, and with the Rhino software business growing the AutoCAD/ Autodesk relationship terminated.

what does it mean dealers selling out of a fixed distance? sounds like autodesk felt threatened when Rhino got full 2d drafting abilities & interoperability with their file types stuff, line types, hatch, weight, dim style, that they are getting sued over protecting by the OpenDesign Alliance. "This DWG is not a true autodesk dwg" scare tactic message comes to mind

and the CEO of autodesk, Bartz, is science adviser to Bush? (sic)
now that he make a joke about his bad record on the environment today at the G8 maybe it would be a good idea to fire her.
Jul 11, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

There are some things that rhino does that are so simple and logical and I often wonder why CAD hasn't thought of the same features. Examples:

Easy definitions of Aliases, no stupid acad.pgp bullshit
offset BOTH SIDES and line BOTH SIDES... how often do you use this and wish it was in CAD?
simple, straightforward line joining. Cad has a feature like this, but it only works with plines. Otherwise, you have to use pedit. Forget splines and arcs, too.
two words: Invert Hide
and the list goes on...

Jul 11, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

auto-completing commands
clicking on command options in at the command line

and the list goes on and on....

Jul 11, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

it's like corporate mainstream vs alternative underground
along with the outpouring of support from the peeps who make it the great tool that it is quite more than not the underdog comes out the victor.

Jul 11, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: