Archinect
anchor

Lebbeus Woods Books

devas

Looking for some of the rare books by Lebbeus Woods among others "The New City", which has been out of print for years. Saw some scans from it and it looks amazing.

Anyone know where I can find a book like that? Thanks.

Jul 4, 08 11:22 am
waxwings

amazon

Jul 4, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
devas

Checked Amazon - very expensive. The best prices so far I found on Half.com

Jul 4, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

I've got it!

Jul 4, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

(not trying to sell, sorry, just braggin')

Jul 4, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
yepp111

abe is also a good place to start

This is probaly a book that you want to get in good condition

Don't you think it's a bit of a comic book rip off as oppsed to say his Pamphlet Architecture or that AA publication (my personal favorite)

Jul 4, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
bluefish

I think that this is my cue. I have been lurking around these boards for too long now! And this discussion about rare Lebbeus Woods books is fascinating.

sevensixfive: I think that I can top your bragging! I have it too but I am also the proud owner of Lebbeus Woods' first unpublished work. It is called "Aeon: The Architecture of Time", and it is a monograph from a small New York publishing firm. From what I understand they only printed very few copies, and for some reason they never released them.

As I am writing this I am considering making a blog about Woods' books so you can see what it looks like. In any case it has some wonderful early black and white drawings in it. The print is large so you really get a sense of each pencil and ink stroke.

architectonicita: I really like the large format of "The New City", and I guess you can argue that the layout is inspired by comic books. Nevertheless the drawings and images in the book are phenomenal. Devas: if you like his work you should definitely get this one. Are you familiar with the a+u publication from 1991 called "Lebbeus Woods: Terra Nova"? It is worthwhile getting as well.

If anyone is interested in seeing the "Aeon: The Architecture of Time" let me know and I will see if I can figure something out.

Jul 4, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Bluefish,
I encourage you to do the blog thing i would love to see/read it...

Jul 4, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
yepp111

I would love to see that Architecture of Time book. I've never even heard of it. Sounds amazing. I'm always curious how people find such good finds.

It looks like there are a few books that sound really interesting that came out around the same time. They were both published by Augustän-Xenon Press. Do you happen to know anything about this publisher?

I own 'Orgins' published by the AA which is a great book that's definitly available.

I can't even believe that this is the same Lebbeus Woods but it is - Check this out-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380705672/egs/

Jul 4, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Definitely would love to see that, bluefish.

Jul 4, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
bluefish

Well, I guess I will have to set up a blog!

There is also the whole RIEA series/workshop:
http://www.riea.ch/-RIE-/plain.home.en.home.default/default.aspx

Also, Lebbeus Woods finally launced his own website about a year ago:
http://lebbeuswoods.net/
Check out the blog, which has some great discussions. And Lebbeus actually responds to the comments!

Jul 4, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
bluefish

By the way - while we are talking about visionary architects - does anyone have any books by Michael Webb? His books seem impossible to get!

Jul 4, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

FYI: Woods just took a brief hiatus from his blog, but the backlogs are definitely worth checking out.

And I'll 4th or 5th (whatever we're up to) on seeing that blog.

Jul 5, 08 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Looking for some of the rare buildings by Lebbeus Woods....

Jul 5, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
ZLine

bluefish - I am really interested in seeing what you have to post on the blog. Once you do get that started, please post back and let us know.

Jul 7, 08 7:40 am  · 
 · 

hahaha... touche SMIB

Jul 7, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 

I think Lebbeus used to work in Saarinen's office way back, and thus presumably participated in the design of any number of built projects.

Jul 7, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have the large 11x17 book with all the color pencil renderings in it..... i just found it when i was moving...... good stuff....

b

Jul 7, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
ZLine

:cryzky: - What is the title of that collection?

Jul 7, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'll look when i leave my new "office"....

i got it back in the mid 90's...... it's hotness...... this was one of the books i kept when i was throwing books out before my move...... i have some old dwell magazines/arch record that i tossed

b

Jul 7, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
EnemyHands

You can't take them home, but I've looked at some at the New York Public Library

Jul 10, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I have a full scan of Michael Webb's Temple Island project. It's a bit hefty to email, though.

Jul 10, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I apologize for bumping such an old thread, but I recently found a copy of Aeon:  The Architecture of Time and have been researching it on this site.  Anyway, most all of the material in the book is included in Lebbeus Woods's blog.  There are four posts:

City of Earth

City of Fire

City of Water

City of Air

These posts appear to include all of the drawings that are in the book.

Sep 28, 12 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: