Archinect
anchor

Out of curiosity; How many unemployed Architect graduates do we have here?

My name is Jay.
I'm an Architect graduate as of 2010. 
I live in Auckland, where there is very little demand for Architects, or designers in general.

But for the past week or so I've been checking out some Architecture groups/pages on Facebook. And it seems that the industry is taking a a huge hit all around the world. 

When I came across this site yesterday, I joined straight away. This is an awesome community, and I really want to get bit of a gauge on how many unemployed Architects/Designers do we have here?

I look forward to the feedback. 

JS

Jul 14, 13 9:27 am

By unemployed do you mean those not working at McDonald's?

Jul 14, 13 10:43 am  · 
 · 
marisco

Well, I am not employed at a traditional firm if that is what you mean. I graduated from my MArch in 2011 (I also have a BA in Urban Studies and an Architectural Technologies diploma). I've been unsuccessful at getting in at a firm here (Calgary, Canada), 200ish resumes and only 6 interviews, none of which panned out. But I am part owner of a home-building company since 2010 (I do all the design, design admin, IT, legal, business paperwork, a large chunk of supplier interaction and project management related activities), I also freelance a little and I am contemplating starting up another venture. I've almost given up the traditional route as getting my foot in the door doesn't seem to be working. 

As for other employment, I am also a bus driver: decent pay, benefits and job security. 

My biggest issue is the conundrum of they see me as having no experience, they want experience but no one wants to initially give me that experience (and most firms discount my activities in the company I own because it is not a traditional arch firm). 

Jul 14, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 
kmce

You might want to add some certifications to your credentials because there are hundreds of job applicants both fresh graduates and experienced are looking for work. Certain certifications like for LEED for instance, include project experience which will be a great help in making yourself a more appealing candidate for hiring firms.

Here's a related piece of article that covers this issue.

http://www.cleanedison.com/blog/is-getting-leed-accredited-worth-it-3296

I hope this helps

Sep 19, 13 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I was wondering about what architects do in a slump like this? I'm sure some of you are working project management at some construction firms? Where else? 

My father in law keeps urging me to go into arch, mostly because he's in construction and has connections into the biz, so he tells me personally I should be fine. 

But what else can you do with an M.Arch?

Sep 19, 13 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Also I don't hear as many horror stories about landcape architects. What's the big difference? 

Sep 19, 13 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Nobody cares about lawn decorators, er ... landscape architects.

Sep 19, 13 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

2 yrs counting

Sep 19, 13 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This is the second thread where KMCE has touted the LEED program to penniless architectural waifs. If you are in debt, go further in debt! LEED will happily take your (borrowed) money. The bloom must be off the LEED rose?

Sep 19, 13 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

man, your father in law is in construction, knows architects, and wants you to go into architecture?  did you do something horrible to his daughter to make him not like you or something?

Sep 19, 13 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

He's been hit hard too, so he knows all about the problems, but his business is still going, not as strong as it used to be in the heyday but he still bids. He recommended architecture because he knows a lot of people in the industry and would refer me over to do some project management. 

Sep 19, 13 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

there are a lot less landscape architects in comparison to building architects, hence it's quieter - try land8.com to find their rants.

Sep 20, 13 11:39 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Their rants about unemployment? I hear they're faring better not worse. Some architects describe the landscapers as making out like bandits by comparison 

Sep 20, 13 11:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: