Archinect
anchor

quick and easy flash education for simple changes?

aaargink

Hello, work is a little slow at my architecture firm so we thought I could maybe help update their website http://www.rogerslabarthe.com/

Unfortunately I don't know flash but the effort should be relatively simple (add new projects, maybe shift around the order of some of the existing ones)

Are there any good resources where I can maybe pick up just "enough" flash to do the simple stuff?

thanks!

Jul 1, 08 11:34 am
lletdownl

my two favorites are

FlashKit

and

Kirupa

Jul 1, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Looks really basic. Just pick up a book and you should be fine. Look over the reviews on Amazon and you should be fine.

www.lynda.com has some good video tutorial stuff (for everything).

This is the kinda site where you ask "why Flash?"

Jul 1, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

why not flash? it does everything html does, but better and with more flexibility

Jul 1, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
aaargink

personally I agree, why use flash to make a nice simple clean site? but then again I know nothing about website making my opinons are fairly uninformed aside from being a user who screams at webBloat all the time....

but I didn't make the site and i might be able to wing it to get paid to at least get a little familiar with a program so why the heck not =)

Jul 1, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
induct

If you are just doing simple stuff it is pretty easy to pick up by looking at the existing flash file. Basically symbols, text and links it sounds like.

Jul 1, 08 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Don't get me wrong, I love Flash. Most of the websites we do are Flash. But we only use Flash where we can take advantage of it by utilizing it's capabilities.

For sites that do not have transitions, html will work fine and be easier.

But it doesn't really matter, site is in Flash so go dive in!

Just don't be surprised if you don't get past what is there, beyond a few minor updates. Creating smooth transitions, organization, testing, etc., is something that takes a very long time to master.

Stay away from tweening, as a general rule (with the possible exception of buttons and very minor fades).

Jul 1, 08 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
aaargink

cool thanks a lot...we just got a couple quick and dirty jobs and once those are done I'll be jumping into flash unless a couple more q&d jobs show up....=)

Jul 2, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Mylarkid

sounds easy. until it comes time to update your flash site.
then think about building it with actionscript 3 to dynamically import xml files that contain your site's content. things start getting ugly unless you know AS3 and XML and how to integrate the two. once you pull your hair out learning it by yourself, you will have a somewhat valuable skill.

flash is good for websites but if your novice in flash and flexibility is an issue go html..

Jul 8, 08 12:24 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I agree with Mk, but you don't need to know AS3, you can use the older Flash versions (we don't do things in AS3 for most clients because of compatibility). Having some kind of dynamic qualities are very helpful, but if you are only updating a few times a year, not necessary.

To learn AS3 well it'd easily be a second career (and you'd get paid a ton more than an architect). Don't underestimate it, it'll easily take solid months to start anything.

It all comes down to planning. HTML forces you to organize things a little more clearly from the beginning, whereas Flash you can kinda just throw it all into one file, organized or not.

Jul 8, 08 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: