Archinect
anchor

Job in New York City

devas

I'm curious to hear what you experience of the job market is right now in New York...Are firms hiring, laying off people.

I've been looking for a job for a while in New York and haven't really gotten any response except for the typical "we're not hiring"

What's going on out there?!

Jun 30, 08 9:17 pm
Atom

Really!? Have you checked the job boards here?

Jul 1, 08 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

NYC is about the last place in the country that is still hiring at pre-recession rates

Jul 1, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
devas

Strange! How many firms should I send my resume to?

Maybe it's because I have little experience. I just graduated.

Jul 1, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Most firms are hiring but the large corporate firms are having a harder time. I heard SOM laid off 100 people.

Jul 2, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
med.

From what I hear SOM always lays people off once a project is finished.

Jul 2, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nobody respects you as a real architect until you've been fired by SOM at least once in your career.

Jul 2, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
AAKWEKS

werd living in Gin, you gotta work for SOMeone SOMetime to be SOMebody, i know people still there and someone who got fired and then hired days later by a principal of an NYC firm who also was fired from SOMe.

NYC is the place to be. Ive been working in this city for a small firm (10p) for about a year and we are still busy.

Jul 2, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
devas

It seems as if SOM are always hiring. Not a good fit for me though.

My architect friend had a look at my resume package - sent out 20 resumes two days ago to both stararchitects and smaller less known firms, and I'm already getting a lot of respons and interview dates.

Jul 2, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
devas

BTW, I also got respons from the firm I really want to work for. Interview tomorrow! Yahoooo

Jul 2, 08 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

man, ive been trying to get out of my job but recently the market isnt so great. i work in nyc too. im just glad i have a job.

Jul 15, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 
circlek09

i've been trying to, sending it to a few people but no responses yet. so frustrating. recent grad, with plenty of internships. any firms anyone might recommend

Aug 14, 08 4:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: