Renewable

Not Another One, Please

Jun 29, 08 10:16 am
Renewable

Oh, Here's the website for the High-Rise: http://www.thehuron.com/

Jun 29, 08 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

Note Rendering and Careful consideration of Neighborhood context. Even the neighboring Buildings aren't properly shown - they didn't even take the time to splice the rendering into a photo....What a joke

Jun 29, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

We are doing one a block away. it will have Benehana. Does that count as street life?

Jun 29, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

No.
It will contribute about as Much as Chili's and Weber Grill do.

Jun 29, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Jun 29, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey the tourists have to go somewherez.

Jun 29, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

wow, the "about" description on the website is truly a puke-inducing masterpiece of marketing manipulation. damn. it is impressively spintastic! seriously jaw-dropping.

also, it's probably a really bad sign that whenever i refer to streeterville in conversation, i get totally blank stares. the other day i had to explain to a 7-year resident of the city (who really knows her neighborhoods) where it was...

Jun 29, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

i actually love weber grill. so good in the winter when you reeaaaally need some summer taste... plus it's local so even though they took out a lease in a nasty development, at least i can feel somewhat ok with myself for going there

Jun 29, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
"I thought how great it would be to live right here," Paul says. "I'd have virtually everything Chicago has to offer at my feet – I could walk to everything!"

The only problem he had was that although there are many residential buildings to choose from in the area, in his mind they were all pretty much the same – large buildings with large numbers of people.

"Don't get me wrong, I love people. I just don't want to live with that many people in one building…it's not exactly my idea of a 'home', he says.

...the article goes on to creatively explain why he ended up doing exactly that, and choosing to destroy the neighborhood he supposedly loved in the process. They wrote it in such a way that you almost come out lauding the man... what an asshole. Admit it, jerkwad, all you wanted was a shitload of money and you're coming up with a fake creative backstory to justify how you're ruining the very neighborhood you're using to sell your overpriced shlock! You're not creating a home for yourself, you'll never live there -- as soon as this shit sells you'll take your money up to Deerfield so your kids can go to school with the kids of all the other prick Chicago developers!

Jun 29, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Thanks Mantaray, that was beautiful. Those guys left Chicago fifty years ago and never looked back - our neighborhoods and history are their financial playground.

Jun 29, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Not to be devil's advocate here but Chilies and Weber Grill pump a lot sales taxes into the economy. I still hate walking through the neighborhood though. In summer its like a concrete oven

Jun 29, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

How is it that tourists seem to instinctually know to go to this neighborhood anyhow? Are the hotel concierges recommending it, or do we have that many dumb ass Chicagoans that are stupid enough to think these are great "Chicago" restaurants and take their out of town guests there?

Jun 30, 08 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Its close to Mich Ave. and its full of tall buildings. Most people this is the most urban experiance they get. And for as much as I bash River North to, there are pockets that I still like. Pubs I go to. And I am forced to walk through it everday since I live nearby. My favorite neighborhoods are still Taylor Street, West Town etc. but Living near river north you forget how segmented Chicago really is since all the trains go downtown first then back out. So on Saturday i want to go to Wicker park, but i end up walking down through river north. i could take the bus west - its only 1 mile - but it seems so much further away. People hate buses. i think they cause half the traffic in Chicago. Trains is where its at. When its nailed down, you know its going anywhere. its infrastructure. Businesses will open. People will live there. When its a bus stop - people dont care.

Jun 30, 08 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

And there are some great eats in river north too. Its ass ugly in its core, but its a disgusting sun baked wreck you cant ignore

Jun 30, 08 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

That makes sense. I do like Pizzeria Uno. My favorite part is watching tourists unsuspectingly walk up and hear that it is a 2 hour wake and then disgustedly walk away, not knowing that they might have just missed the best deep dish pizza they'll ever have.

I ride a bus to work (in the summer I ride my bike) and I really like it. It picks up directly in front of my house and takes me right downtown so it is really convenient. I think the buses are good for routine trips. It's just much harder to know the entire bus system nearly as well as the train system.

Jun 30, 08 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

By the time the busses get to my area, near north, their stacked up 5 and 6 busses in a row. Its literally the same as a train going down the middle of the street at 5 mph stopping every 100 ft. Then the cars get backed up and cant turn right into the loop, and the fat ladies in neon green jackets who are supposed to be making traffic flow are just watching it. I guess its better than nothing, but I really miss my car, not the cost. Despite Chicagos traffic - its still faster to drive for most folks. And more enjoyable. Assuming you can still afford to anyways.

Jun 30, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Ive biked in Chicago and its like tempting death

Jun 30, 08 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I know what you mean. It's a delicate thing whether you ride the train or bus. If you get on at the first stop you'll certainly have a nice seat, but of course the trip takes forever. If you live too far down the line, you might have to wait for a couple trains or buses to pass before you even get a seat.

I think it really helps that I go in pretty early in the morning, so I believe I miss the big rush.

As for biking, I'm in Old town so I ride right through River North, it isn't so bad because I can take the bike path on wells the entire way. Definitely have to pay attention, but it is alright.

Jun 30, 08 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey we're goin to pizzaria uno tomorrow for a coworkers birthday. the p.u. in indianapolis that is. my coworker is from da region!

Jun 30, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

deep dish is foul. I dont know who started all this Chicago Pizza marketing but real Chicagoans eat real piazza - cut into squares. Seriously - I dont know anyone who eats deepdishh and every italian family I know does roma

Jun 30, 08 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

even the cheapest frozen pizza tastes good to me...

Jul 1, 08 12:04 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I will eat deep dish if ats a party or something but not go out of the way for it. I actualy know Mama Celes's daughters - they make a good frozen pizza. You cant beat a 3 for $5 special at the Jewels either

Jul 1, 08 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

haha whatever ep, real chicagoans eat whatever they can cram into their fat faces. I love all kinds of pizza.

As for UNOs have you ever been there? I'm not talking about the franchises either, but the original on Wabash, it is completely different and shares only the good name with it's franchised cousins.

Phil's down on 36th and Halsted is great for thin, square cut pizza.

Jul 1, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

EvilP said Jewels, love it.
everything is pluralized for no reason around here, no?
Uno's, etc....

Jul 1, 08 9:12 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

"I've designed and I am building a home in one of the best locations Chicago has to offer. To have all the amenities my heart desires, I'm redefining the standard of excellence in finishes .And I'm pricing this limited edition gem very competitively so I can sell-out quickly and finally move into my dream home."

-developer Paul Stanley

Jul 1, 08 9:31 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

good lord what the f*ck is that

Jul 1, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Mr. Stanley, that's called short-selling.
Something tells me his dream home is in Winnetka and not in his building.

Jul 1, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: