Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Graduate Not Necessarily Looking to become an Architect

Slightly

Hello,

I am a recent M.Arch graduate who feels that I have gained a lot from the creative highs and lows of architecture school, but who also doesn't feel that my heart is in becoming a design architect in the traditional sense. To me what is exciting is the implementation of technologies and, specifically computing technologies to the practice of architecture.

Now I don't want to be a parametric guru designing formalist installations, but the idealist in me wants to understand heavy duty coding (C++, Python, Java,...etc,) and actually begin to implement programming in meaningful ways to material systems or building organization. I'm interested by the architects that really dove head first into coding, and are pursuing mobile app applications, interaction design (Kostaz Terdisis, Proxy Architects, Biothing), and also “Computational consultants” like Nathan Miller of Case.

For someone like me, does anybody out there have any advice/ similar experience? Is there a “Happy Medium” for a person like me without having to complete another form of loan-inducing education..i.e. Computer Science Degree? How should I address myself to potential employers?Many listings are for all around intern architects, but my passion is really in extending coding to facilitate design.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 11, 13 12:53 pm
aryans

I've done what you're doing right now. I got lucky though. I finished the first part of my Degree Bachelor of Design in Architecture and ended up getting a job at this architectural firm that develops software as well. I've been interested in coding and HAVE been coding since I was 12 as a hobby, so I know just as much as (sometimes even more than some people who went to uni) all the other developers in my firm, about programming. Did not go to college for it. I just managed to prove to my boss that I can code and now I'm a part of the development team and I'm also doing freelance work.

I also found a master of computer science degree for graduates with a non-computing degree. look for those it's only 1.5 years for me and I don't have to do the whole graduate thing again.

It's not impossible to get a tech job without a degree but it is harder to filter through HR when applying for a job. just put together a portfolio of what you're capable of and start marketing yourself well and and if you're good you should be able to land a job and work your way up from there.

Jul 11, 13 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Slightly

aryans, Thanks for your input.

So where there is a will (and a bit of luck), there is a way! I will look into that Master Program in Comp. Sci, although at this stage I want to at least begin earning some form of income. I wish you continued success in your development career!

Jul 12, 13 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: