Archinect
anchor

NEW ARCHITECTURE STUDENT!!

xxxchinaboixxx

hey guys im a first year student at cal poly pomona majoring in... wat else? architecture... i was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips and stuff like that... anyways.. i took a few architecture workshops before.. but all we did was build models with glue and balsa wood.. i was just wondering wha the difficulty levels are like in math and stuff so i can work on those skills... thanks
Kevin(first time arc noobie)

Sep 20, 04 8:33 pm
tman

get out now...jk

in terms of design, i'd say just test out your own conceptual ideas and mess around with models and drawings that support that. Dont be afraid to take risks.

And most importantly, question "why"? For instance, why did i need glue and balsa wood to make all my previous models. Sometimes you dont need glue, or can use materials for texture, color, expression, etc.

i dont kno how math oriented cal poly is, but so far i havent had to use it in my studio class.

Sep 20, 04 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
A

Math shouldn't be too much of an issue in design studio. At least I've never heard about that. Most colleges require courses through at very least trig and most calculus I.

TMan has good advise. I'd add that you can learn much from your studio mates. Also, have fun with it. Architecture school can be grueling but it's more fun that working. Have fun with it.

I would say there is a reality of the real world though. Archinect is a good source for learning about making a good resume or portfolio. These days computer skills are vital. AutoCad is a necessity, although I wouldn't get hung up on that. 3D modeling is popular and employers like those skills as well. Guess my advise for now is to know your way around a computer but have fun with the pencils and x-actos for now. Wish I were back there.

Sep 20, 04 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
xxxchinaboixxx

haha.. thanks for the advise guys.. it's super helpful.. i just have a slight fear of math.. and a.k.a trig, calc, and physics.. *shiver*..

Sep 20, 04 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Well I never got past trig... and doing just fine. Passed the structural exams no problem. It's really more about logic and common sense, all you'll need is algebra and a construction master (calculator that does inches feet etc.). Though if you do have math skills I would recommend taking some engineering courses if you have the chance - it will help you later even if you decide to become a designer or project manager.

Sep 20, 04 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

drink a lot, smoke pot and more than anything else, start dressing like the best postgrad students. style over substance.

Sep 21, 04 6:14 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

bigness, you have definitely hit upon something there....all these years i have been wondering what i was doing wrong....NOW I KNOW!!!...thank you, i must now go and correct the error of my ways...who wants coffee????

Sep 21, 04 8:49 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

start dressing like the best postgrad students. please note that this does not involve emulating and art students so no excessive layering. Footwear is also critical preferably not anything too common.

My preference in first year was navy blue DM's

http://www.cloggs.co.uk/icat/brdftwrdrmtclassic

They last and good for drinkin, tokin and f**kin in!

Apart from that fashion advice read a lot and open your eyes to the world. You were blind before and now you have taken the first steps to enlightenment.

Sep 21, 04 9:27 am  · 
 · 
weave

i agree w/ tman: get out now

make no mistake, math is important...for my undergrad, i had to take 2 caculuses and a math elective to graduate...but these were by far my worst marks...

but for me, i found that i got more architectural understanding from english, literature, and history.

Sep 21, 04 9:47 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, math's not really a big thing. just when you get to third year and have to take the structures courses, but then it's not really very hard, just a lot of formulas. i go to cpp as well, and to find out what being an architecture student's really like just come down to the idc (the big shiny metal building down by the freeway) in a couple of weeks and see what's going on. better yet, come down in the last few weeks before finals (especially this quarter) and see what a madhouse it can be... muahahaha!!!!!

Sep 21, 04 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

something really strange here...i noticed the singer from the coolest rock band pof my city www.deathofannakarina.com looks exactly like the "best student" we had during my BA...now there is a pattern developing here or what?...i should become an underweight ball eyed bastard...

archiphreak
you can mail me anytime on suggestions on how to improve your wardrobe and therefor your architectural life. did i mention this will make you recognisable as an architects from up to 1150 ft away?

the only bit of serious advice i'll give today:no matter what you do, always try to understand what is behind the the stuff you like, wheter it is art, design, architecture or music.

Sep 22, 04 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

hey, and have fun, too

Sep 22, 04 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
superman

you can get out now, or get out 10 years later... up to you! :D

seriously, the pay sucks, life is hard, so you better damn well love what you do.

Sep 22, 04 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
timm

School is tough-no question about it. Late nights bleeding into a week without sleep...cutting fingers with x-actos, emergency room visits, learning which restaurants are open all night...
But beyond the scary stories (you'll get your own, live and learn) school is a unique opportunity to learn, question, and play around with things that you probably won't be able to for a long time after graduating... The math thing wasn't my strongest either, but I did survive. You're in for the treat of experiencing a straight up math class of some sort, maybe a physics class geared toward the field, a few equations in your systems classes, and most definitely multiple semesters of structures. Tutoring is usually available, and there are always the math-talented classmates to ask for help.
No real worries. Enjoy the school experience. Wish I could go back... (sometimes!)

Sep 22, 04 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
BEN_Diddy

transfer the hell out of CAL POLY and got to a real school like SCI_Arc!!!

Sep 22, 04 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Hey Kid
Stay in..., These old Hacks are just Scared Shit less of you because
You will take their $40,000 jobs and do it for $20,000.
And then after working 40 years you will be making $40,000
And you will be begging some young Smuck To Get Out
to save your Shity job.

Welcome to Architecture Kid

Sep 23, 04 12:31 am  · 
 · 
superman

^ ha ha

well said

Sep 23, 04 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Mum

I had no higher math in school. None. I took Math 101 and 102 prior to transferring into architecture school (this was the 80's) and that somehow satisfied my math credits. I never got past algebra in high school. My son surpassed my math skills when he was in 6th grade!

When I took structures, my professor taught us just the math we needed to get through the class. He knew we weren't all math geniuses. When I started studying for the exams, I bought some workbooks at a teacher's store store to become more comfortable with the trig for structures. If you want a good book on structures to start with try this. There's not much info on Amazon but my professor wrote it and the first chapter is written for students who "have either forgotten or perhaps had no high school math". I'm quoting from the book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0442291116/qid=1096026254/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2065258-0656859?v=glance&s=books

Just jump in there and take the math classes they require and get a tutor if you need it. Most architecture classes don't require any math at all. You can easily get through your studios without much math. Even cad doesn't require mathematical knowledge. You'll be fine. Good luck.

Sep 24, 04 7:51 am  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

1, Question. Question not only yourself, but always question what is being taught to you (sometimes teaching is actually telling you how to design... some professors like to design through you.)

2. S, M, L, XL, but it.

3. More than S,mlxl, buy Rowe's Phenomenal Transparency.

4. Pomo glasses... clear, plastic thick ones, not black or tortoise shell ones.

5. If you wan't to meet people, bum a cigarette. Then think pensively or bitch about your last deskrit.

6. Go to all lectures.

7. Start going to seminars.

8. you'll be fine.

Sep 24, 04 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

Not but it. Buy It. sorry.

Sep 25, 04 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

join the AIAS and go to the school meeting on monday afternoon

Sep 25, 04 12:55 am  · 
 · 
charlize

GET OUT NOW??? I wish someone had told me that in the first year!

I wish I had listened....

Be prepared for lots of coffee, lowerback pain, and sleepless hours.

Good luck in your new adventure =o)

Oct 11, 04 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

nice mouth

Oct 11, 04 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

do things... dont not do things.... thats what screwed me... i did nothing... and now im lost because i did not get somethings out of what things i should have... those things are important, remember that.

also wear layers... no matter what everyone else says... its cool to wear layers

remember the things

Oct 17, 05 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

school was a blast. math was fun, but i did calculus in high school so uni was just review. don't worry about it, get through it and when you work in the real world hire an engineer. they will always be better at it than you.

as for courses and shit, yeah question all you want, but listen too. read everything you can unrelated to architecture cuz thats where the important stuf is. architecture books are a waste of intelligence most of the time, just so much beautifully dressed rubbish. smlxl is interesting for its graphic design and oma's buildings are wonderful but far better to read freakonomics or the like instead; and then visit the buildings personally. all that vicarious picture book stuff really doesn't cut it in the end...

oh and don't listen to what other architects tell you. especially the advice. never listen to the advice...

Oct 18, 05 2:19 am  · 
 · 
David Zeibin

I think "do things" is the best advice. I like that.

Oct 18, 05 2:48 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd probably suggest dropping out of school for a year or two. move somewhere far away and get a shitty job or something like that. allow the "real world" to permeate your life and then when you understand how shitty it is, you will not only be ready to commit to the difficult work of architecture school, but you also be sooo grateful to be there in the bubble, spending your days coloring (even outside the lines if you like!...its literally better than kindergarten)

moreover, once you finish school and take your first shitty architecture job, you will still be thankful because at least you're not tele-marketing on a saturday afternoon, digging ditches or some other shit like that for your $15/hour. word.

Oct 18, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

in reference to the 'do things' post, here this quote from a TIB (this I believe) from Bill Caudill:

There are the thinkers. And there are the doers. The thinkers
criticize the doers for producing work having the quality of banality.
The doers criticize the thinkers for producing nothing but talk.

Every so often in this profession we meet people who can think and do.
Such think-do people are Wright, Corbusier, and I'll add Doxiodus,
knowing that I'm open for criticism.

We need the thinkers. We need the doers. And how nice to find a few
think-do guys.

Here is a more direct explanation on theory v. practice:

The relevance of theory in informing practice cannot be overemphasised, though many architects shun theory.

Theory is the result of that reasoning which demonstrates and explains that the material wrought has been so converted as to answer the end proposed.

Wherefore the mere practical architect is not able to assign sufficient reasons for the forms he adopts; and the theoretic architect also fails, grasping the shadow instead of the substance.

He who is theoretic as well as practical, is therefore doubly armed; able not only to prove the propriety of his design, but equally so to carry it into execution."

Oct 18, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

basswood, not balsa. basswood. balsa is for airplanes. it is ugly. if i see architecture models made with it, i get sad.

Oct 18, 05 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
AP

rebelguy...i could have used that during undergrad...would have rested easier...wait, maybe the restlessness was useful?

Oct 18, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

don't sweat it noobie - take some other classes, drugs, whatever. Becoming burned out (before your 40th birthday) is the greatest sin you can commit.

Oct 18, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

(the OP is a year old...)

Oct 18, 05 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: