Archinect
anchor

How does professional liability insurance work?

arkichic

I have been licensed for two years now but have not worked in the architectural field directly for the past five years. I am recently getting back into the industry. A friend of mine wanted me to review drawings for his firm and eventually stamp on the drawings for permits.

I was wondering what kind of professional liability insurance should I look into and how to obtain one.

Also, does anyone have any experience with this type of consulting service and have an idea of the on-going rate for compensation?

Thank you!

Jun 25, 08 12:20 am
madivan

licensed as what?

Jun 25, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
arkichic

Sorry. California licensed architect.

Jun 25, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 

this "consulting service" is known as plan stamping and is technically illegal (at least here in florida)... however, it does happen all the time...

Jun 25, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
outed

arkichic -

i'd be leery of doing what your friend asked. however, to answer your question about insurance: basically there are two types - errors and omissions (which is what everyone generally refers to as liability) insurance, which covers errors and omissions in your work. it does not cover any criminal activity or, say, a deliberate attempt to skirt codes. what you get for your monthly check is a promise to defend you should a lawsuit arise and to cover a judgement or settlement up to the amount of coverage you're buying.

the second kind is an umbrella type policy - this covers all the other aspects of your business: loss, theft, accidents (different from workman's comp), etc.

you would definitely need the former, but maybe not the latter.

Jun 25, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
arkichic

laru,

i did not feel comfortable about this plan review without me personally working on the projects. thank you for the information on insurance. do you have any suggestions to which insurance company would have the errors and emissions coverage?

thanks a lot.

Jun 25, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

CNA Insurance

Jun 25, 08 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

However...if this isn't a project which has been prepared by you.....buy all the insurance you can.....but beware if things
go wrong....you can bend over tuck your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye. California....will in the process probably take
your registration away from you as a bonus.

Jun 25, 08 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: