Archinect
anchor

wood fired pizza oven thread

mdler

any thoughts?

Jun 20, 08 5:42 pm
Sarah Hamilton

The pizza in Rome was the best I've ever had. I liked the tono e carcioffi the best. I think it had mayo on it.

Jun 20, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

not permitted in many municipalities these days.

home or commercial?

Jun 20, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

when my parents lived in italy, they had one and never used it! there is one @ via tribunali here in seattle

Jun 20, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Good place to get rid of the bodies

Jun 20, 08 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mighty

there is talk amoungst some friends of friends in Seattle to build an outdoor one in a common area in a group of houses. I have been doing a little research and think that some of the thermal / insulating issues can be improved upon with new materials

one of the great debates is round vs square walled as well as the dome vs barrel vaulted top.

Jun 20, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i prefer to get rid of the bodies in a boiler, or hack them to pieces and spread them around in the woods.

Jun 20, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
...Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You gotta starve the pigs for a few days then the sight of a chopped up body would look like curry to a pissant. You gotta shave the head of your victim and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggy's digestion. You could do this afterwards of course but you don't wanna go sifting through pig shit now do ya? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to do the job in one sitting so be weary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs two-hundred pounds in about...eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of un-cooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression: "as greedy as a pig."
Jun 20, 08 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Holz... I gather you've been reading up on the pig farmer who was accused of killing prostitutes in the vancouver area, got rid of the body parts in his pig farm.

It was was a bit of a challenge to find any evidence!

Jun 20, 08 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

whistler, are you for real? I think holz was refferencing -well crap- that brad pitt movie, Snatch, thats it!

Jun 20, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

actually, isn't that from "silence of the lambs"? or at least one of the hannibal lechter movies?

Jun 20, 08 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

dude, snatch!

Jun 20, 08 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

what's happen to all those noble thoughts on sustainability or save the world in general? burn woods for ur snacks?

Jun 21, 08 6:59 am  · 
 · 
mdler

aspect

wood is a more sustainable fuel source than gas or electric

Jun 21, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Orphan

wood fire pizza oven are great with regards to taste but most clients dont want to bother with the prep time to much hassle. they would just prefer to start it up and go and you need to have both try maybe this pizza oven previously wanted to install a wood pizza oven but once the client knew the process they said "gas"

Jun 21, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the oven would be for a group of people who understand the time involved in heating the oven

Jun 22, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Mdler, any possibility of making it into some kind of combined pizza and grill? It seems like it would be nice to have options on what is cooked in it, and it would probably result in it being used more.

Either way, if you do build one, make sure to pay attention to the thermal expansion properties of the different materials involved, if you have a steel door or anything like that, make sure you provide appropriate expansion joints or it will destroy itself the first time you fire it up.

It sounds fun and good luck!

Jun 22, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

mdler - you're talking about improving on the wheel.

good luck, and let me know when you fire it up! i'll bring tofu-dogs.

Jun 24, 08 3:18 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

mdler - check out :

http://www.fornobravo.com/

or:

https://www.mugnaini.com/

We used a pre-assembled model (on it's own steel stand) from mugnaini and designed a custom copper clad enclosure for it...

Jun 24, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Well.. if you're ever in the middle of nowhere and looking for wood-fired pizza:
http://wynolapizzaexpress.com/

Literally Middle of Nowhere, California. Chanced upon this place when driving from Yuma to Escondido.

Personally, I t hought the pizza was delicious, but I'm not sure if that was because I'd been driving through the desert for 5 hours or not.

Jun 25, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm pizzza

Jun 25, 08 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

il vicino in albucrackee is quite good.

Jun 25, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
induct

these places are everywhere in Melbourne

Jun 25, 08 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

a-a-a-nd back to the original topic.  Try these portable pizza ovens,  I friend of mine has one and it was remarkably quick and really decent crust.

https://ooni.com/

Feb 20, 20 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Very cool. We've been thinking of building a pizza oven in our backyard when/if we re-do it. This looks way easier than a big old brick construction.

Feb 20, 20 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Get your self a decent stone, and a regular heavy duty barrel grill works just as good...maybe better imo. I usually make a fire on one side, and place the stone on the other side (side with chimney) works really good. I’ve done it with pecan wood...because it’s locally available....but mesquite actually strangely tastes the best imo.

Feb 20, 20 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Be on top of it...it cooks fast

Feb 20, 20 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

And the stones will crack eventually if directly on the metal grill, so put a couple bricks on the grill and put the stone on top of the bricks....

Feb 20, 20 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

or just use a pizza stone in the household oven like the non hipster architect that I am. Works really well, cheap and consistent heat that doesn't take a lot of time to start up or cool down. Never going to be the same burnt crispy crust as wood fired oven but I have clients who have spent $10-20 K on their outdoor pizza zone...each to their own and I like pizza but I got better things to do with $20K!

Feb 20, 20 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

That works too, but a regular grill works great. Most of the time don’t feel like making a wood fire, and coal works fine too

Feb 20, 20 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: