Archinect
anchor

Rhino, Large files . . .

Rhino?

I am having difficulty creating a boolean in Rhino. I keep getting as error that I don't have enough memory . . . I am trying to Boolean a relatively complex surface that has capped ends with a simple form. I think some of the difficulties may be that the 'complex' form is too complex. I am planning to send it to a cnc router, so I don't want to overly simplify the form . . . does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the error? I have already tried: deleting and purging all unused layers, scaling, and exporting into 3d-max, thanks

Jun 19, 08 5:47 pm
Mission St.

break it into pieces (the large complex surface). and do your boolean ops on the pieces. then weld them back together when all the pieces are done.

also, possibly, check your tolerance settings. if you've set it to something really small .001" you might be using more memory than necessary during the boolean. i'm not entirely sure about that, but it rings a bell.

and finally, if none of that helps, post your question the rhino newsgroup. it's the best support forum i've *ever* seen. freakin' bob mcneel drops in to answer peoples questions. (this is like bill gates answering the vista help line).

Jun 20, 08 12:35 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

yeah--the Rhino guys are so helpful it's ridiculous…

do you have to use "boolean" operations, or can you use trim/extend commands instead after breaking the model up like Mission St. suggests?

Jun 20, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah break it into pieces, work on this single boolean element on a separate file and then put it back in your original file, there'0s plenty of ways....

one last thing, im sure u checked but, u didnt have photoshop and illustrator also open working on a A0 high res poster right??, and also, u sure is not time to boost up ur computer RAM??

;) g.luck

Jun 20, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

sometimes i overshoot (make the 2nd object bigger slightly) so i know i am not having small tolerance issues

but i have never had a out of memory error since the early days of Flamingo.

Jun 20, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Always maximize your RAM on any system you use. rule of thumb

Jun 20, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Rhino?

Thanks, I am able to perform the boolean, now that I broke it up into smaler pieces . . .

Jun 21, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

yeah, what antisthenes said. i always make the 2nd object much bigger, that does seem to fix most boolean problems (unless you're trying to cut a million pieces out of a million pieces).

Jun 21, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

If it is just a surface, try the split tool. If you create a surface that intersects with the larger surface that you have created, you can use the "split" command. I am not sure if it applies here, but you can recreate any interior faces (if necessary).

Jun 23, 08 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

and rejoin them to get back a water tight solid

Jun 23, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Maybe you got it to work already but
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/BooleanFAQ.html

Jun 23, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: