Archinect
anchor

The influence of utopian thought on modern architecture

epeart

I am a 17 year old living in London; beginning an 'Extended Project' qualification discussing the influence of philosophical and political thought on modern architecture, primarily with reference to Le Corbusier and the Haus Wittgenstein.

I am approaching a range of architects and asking about their views on the subject and as members in the field, was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what lines of argument might be interesting for me to explore(specific schools, architects, philsophers etc.) and any personal views on what influence this has had on your own work. Please treat this as an invitation to share your opinions/suggestions/any thing you would like to add!

Many thanks.

Jul 6, 13 3:38 pm
x-jla

It's a huge subject.  How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Look into Corbus Radiant City... that's a start.  

Jul 6, 13 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
epeart

The essay I have to produce needs to be between 4,000-6,000 words.

Fairly deep!

Jul 6, 13 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

Batter get to work. 

Jul 6, 13 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

I am also a 17 year old living in London.

You should flip through some Tafuri - though it might eat all your time and derail what seems to be the thesis you already have in mind.

Jul 7, 13 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

Architecture and Disjunction by Bernard Tschumi, Modern Architecture: A Critical History by Kenneth Frampton, and any architectural history book (the ones where there are a lot more words that pictures) could be good resources if your local library may have copies. If you are truly wanting to explore the subject for your own gain, you may want to organize the essay in such a manner that you may be able to expand upon it in the future.

Jul 7, 13 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The Frampton book is a very thorough and well written. 

Jul 7, 13 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: