Archinect
anchor

adamson associates architects Anybody?

hi archinect and all,

im from nyc and working fulltime as a junior architect. now im looking for a new job, new experience. i heard that adamson architects are now working on the new world trade center and i thought this may be an interesting path. its amazing they have such a grand project to work with alongside with SOM, Pelli, Rogers and others? ... just wondering if anybody has heard from them about other projects. have they designed other buildings? their website is down or under construction.

if anybody has insight or detail about anything please do share.

Jun 18, 08 12:13 am
won and done williams

adamson tends to be aor on many big projects, not design architect. i have a feeling it's a bit of a sweatshop. if you are an intern, bone up on your cad skills cause you're likely going to be doing a lot of cds. that being said, i also think it could be a very interesting place to work if you are given any responsibility whatsoever given the high profile nature of their projects. coordinating a massive list of consultants, seeing major multibillion dollar projects through to completion, it could be quite intoxicating. there's a lot to be learned at an office like that.

Jun 18, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Cure

thanks, that was informative. but what do you mean by they tend to be 'aor' on many big projects?

Jun 18, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

architect of record

Jun 18, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

architect of record - meaning they do later stage document production (dd, cd) and construction administration - the name design firms, like the pellis and the rogers of the world, do the front end design work.

Jun 18, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Cure

ok sorry i havent heard of this term used before. i looked it up and it states that "The architect licensed in the jurisdiction that the project is located in, who prepares, stamps and signs the construction documents, and is legally recorded as the architect for the project."

when it says legally recorded as the architect for the project. does that literally mean they are the 'architects' or 'designers'?

i heard somewhere they conserve the credits for each company so there is no unfairness of who did what on a building. this doesnt make them the 'architect' all the time right?

Jun 18, 08 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Cure

ok, sorry, disregard the other post... in your opinion is the front end as design have anything to do with reputation? i think its does since everybody knows about pelli, etc.. but the 'back end' work like dd,cd,ca...are these guys like "oh wow, they are great architects" in peoples eyes?

Jun 18, 08 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: