Archinect
anchor

Work Blog

kreynolds

Would it be possible to do a work blog where people from firms around the world could post about their work experiences? Or would this be subject to too many copyright/permission issues? Or even too boring or too immense to undertake?

Sep 20, 04 2:39 am
0jk0

i like the idea.. we could always leave out the specifics when copyright and permission are issues.. what we should be looking to put in the blogs should be oriented more towards the work culture and practises...
on the downside, i dont think we would have as much to say as in a school blog...

Sep 20, 04 5:14 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

i think we should implement a city blog as well, people are always asking.. where to live? where to drink? where to visit? where to hook up? etc

Sep 20, 04 9:36 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

the work blog could be included in the city blog

Sep 20, 04 9:36 am  · 
 · 
700c

I think this would be a great resource for comparing notes on the workaday world in architecture...it could be done without revealing the firm names (for obvious reasons) by specifying their size, project niche, and region(s) of operation.

Sep 20, 04 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

There's less likely to be the same type of candor as shown on the School Blogs though. I think the risk of revealing too much info about clients, or too much proprietary info is one issue. Then there's the trouble of offending one's boss or coworkers - inadvertently or not.
I think the posts would likely be a lot more vague and generalized than in the school blog (where in some cases faculty are named and criticized.)

Sep 20, 04 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
A

I was thinking about this as I was reviewing the recent school blogs. I'm sure my current clients wouldn't mind the free publicity but am troubled by the ethics of showing current design work I'm doing. There is also the privacy issue of reveling our current employers. Many people vent their frusturations about work on this forum and the anonomity of the Internet is something to be celebrated from time to time.

My choice would be to steer closer to a city blog where one could show their workspace without revealing too much. I'd love to post my daily life - running to job sites, the best java house, a cosmopolitian dinner downtown, trip to contractors office in suburbia, etc.

I also like the idea of a city blog purely for the benefit of tourista. Archinecters seem to get around quite a bit. Recently I asked here for suggestions about a business trip to DC and I cannot argue with the information that I received.

Sep 21, 04 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

well...i think would be getting closer to a Truman-show scenario with school-blogs, work-blogs, etc. we would get to the point to blogging everyone all day...mmhhh why dont we let something left for the imagination???

Sep 22, 04 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: