Archinect
anchor

Building Code in Washington DC

I've got a project in DC and I was wondering if any knows what building code is used there? Do they have any supplemental requirements? Any advice or things to watch out for?

TIA

Jun 13, 08 9:13 pm
Synergy

Looking over the document in Janosh's post, it looks like the structural revisions to the IBC 2000 they are using a pretty minimal. Looks like you need to make sure your footings have a minimum depth of 2'-6", which I imagine is shallower than what you typically use in NJ.

Jun 13, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Be cautious - DC is requiring IBC 2006 for projects with design contracts signed after a certain date.

Jun 14, 08 12:33 am  · 
 · 
tc79

JB, The document that Janosh posts either amends or deletes-and-replaces passages from the IBC codes listed. Read thru it carefully.
If your project is for the GSA, that's another issue. If it's a private development for a GSA tenant, there are a couple of gray areas.
Without knowing more about the building type, I can't give specific advice.

Jun 14, 08 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Thom Freeman

tc79, i My project is the fitout to an existing space above a Kinkos. In NJ we have our version of the IBC as well. I haven't gone through the supplement yet, but I am concerned about having to add a second water closet. Here any business space that is over 1500 sf requires separate facilities...The space is is 1900 sf and the program pushes the space to the limit. Any thooughts?

Jun 14, 08 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Code consultants are common team members on projects in the DC area.

Jun 15, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: