Archinect
anchor

soundproof floor for a martial arts studio

mespellrong

Hello all,

I'm helping my Martial arts studio move into a new space, and have been reviewing properties with them over the past couple of weeks. Real estate in chicago being what it is, and serious martial artists not being great businessmen, they are likely going to have to rent a second floor space.

The couple of reasonable spaces we have seen so far have the same issue -- this martial art is a soft style, so it involves a lot of throws. That means bodies hitting the floor at high speeds. What I'm wondering is, what kind of soundproofing would we need to ensure that the dentist's office downstairs wasn't disturbed?

Jun 12, 08 8:11 pm
Atom

"martial artists not being great businessmen" No way. Kicking ass with no damages is the ultimate businessman. They can't sue!

Johnsmanville - sound attenuation 'blankets' or 'batts' depending on the application.

Sound isolation clips attached to the ceiling below if... wait how is anyone going to answer that question if you won't list the floor / ceiling composite. Better post an [img] of the floor / ceiling or bust.

Alright Grasshopper - what is the sound heard in the floor below of one hand clapping?

Jun 13, 08 1:30 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

light weight concrete, with lots of built in insulation (air voids)

Jun 13, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

might want to watch for floor penetrations and duct/wall pententrations that may lead to the space below.
or the dentists may be hearing not just thumping of bodies, but some HAI-YAAS! as well.

Jun 13, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Built up floor system with multiple layers of different materials ie concrete sub floor over ply, with floating layer or neoprene, and donna conna ( chip board ), the different materials allow for the vibration and sound to be broken up as the pass through the different densities of the materials.

That's the theory!

Jun 13, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

What whistler said. There's floor systems out there that are often specified for the free-weights areas of health clubs. They're typically built like a floating platform raised a few inches above the main floor, with some sort of damper system that absorbs the shock of falling weights (or falling bodies) and distributes it evenly.

Jun 13, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Actually, my roommate is a construction manager for a chain of fitness centers here in NYC, and I know they use raised platforms for their free weight areas. I'll ask him if there's a particular system they use.

Jun 13, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 

i just learned about mass loaded vinyl this week... it might help...

Jun 13, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

homasote. lots of it. like three layers. try some slams, then add more if the dentist complains.

Jun 13, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

A phone call or visit to other similar martial arts studios might get you some answers too. personally, I like the homasote idea.

Jun 13, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

he wants sound proofing so you don't hear the sound of bones cracking as he puts his fist through someone.

Jun 13, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7450321.stm

you could give them some of this to put around them if they can't stand your sound... but they probably would still feel the building shake.

Jun 13, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

"we put the mats on the floor, so we don't slip on the blood" from some great samurai movie maybe kiru. not sure.

Jun 13, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

but the mats won't prevent the blood from dripping through the pipe penetrations right on the patient's mouth of the patient of the dentist below, no?

Jun 14, 08 12:27 am  · 
 · 
twee

i just did a prototype project that need a soundproof, shock absorbing material, as well as visually pleasing aesthetic for an athletic training facility on the 4th floor.

check out the product PAVI GYM--if you need contact info for the US Director (who i dealt with) let me know--added bonus for you- dude lives right outside chicago and has a showroom you can go to, there are several installs around town too.

good luck.

Jun 14, 08 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i thought ninjas didnt make noise

Jun 16, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Thanks all for the comments. Once we have a particular location in place, I'll post a floor section for additional comments.

LIG, Please do pass on anything you learn.

Vado, I think the line was, "we put the mats on the floor, so we don't have to sleep in the blood."

mdler, if someone tells you something about ninjas and you aren't Japanese aristocracy, they are most likely lying. But what would I know -- I study samurai arts.

Jun 18, 08 1:33 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

we dont mdler

we dont...........

Jun 18, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

is building a new dojo out of the qestion?

Jun 18, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
crgixxer

I've seen floors where there is a heavy rubber mat (3/8-5/8) sandwiched between two t+g sheets of ply, screwed each layer.
this was on engineered wood trusses.

Jun 25, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
crgixxer

oh yeah, the mats are heavy as shit, and a hell to install. The subtrades will love you.

Jun 25, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: