Archinect
anchor

Convention Center housing and parking requirements

neongig

Hey all,

I am a young designer and I am working on some purely conceptual sketches for my superiors. They are requesting a convention center / hotel with an attached parking garage. While I have some basic ideas in mind, I have a problem. I don't know what kind of space ratios I need to have for the convention center, hotel, and parking. For example, if I have a convention center with X amount of conference rooms, how many rooms would I need in the hotel? And how many parking spaces are required in the parking garage for that many rooms? I doubt a situation this specific would be covered by a building code, so is there some sort of rule of thumb that I should use.

I am just starting out my career and am totally lost. Please help!

Thanks so much everyone.

-neongig

Jul 1, 13 7:34 pm
toasteroven

where are you located?  parking and max size of hotel are usually covered in the zoning code.  otherwise you can probably find this info in a few different sources (arch graphic standads, neufert, etc...)

Jul 1, 13 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
A.R.Ch

Most convention centers post fairly detailed floor plans online for exhibitors.  Additionally, most cc hotels will advertise their key capacity.  Run through some precedents and generate your own ratios based on observation.

For starters, look at the Chicago McCormick Place, Atlanta World Congress Center, Orange County, and Washington DC Convention Centers. 

Jul 1, 13 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

There is no one-to-one relationship between convention center size and rooms in an attached hotel. Most convention centers (or convention bureaus) will look at total rooms within proximity of a venue, i.e. area accessible to convention center by foot or transit. From there, you would look at occupied room nights per year to achieve profitability. Once you stray into this territory you are leaving the realm of architecture and entering into market analysis and city planning. Important stuff, but outside of your scope, especially as an intern designer. 

The other question you ask about parking spaces per room is a simple zoning code issue and can be found in your local zoning ordinance.

Jul 2, 13 10:15 am  · 
 · 
neongig

Thanks everyone for your input, it was very helpful. To answer your question toasteroven, I am located in Fairbanks, which is in central Alaska. This is a proposed addition to the University of Alaska Fairbanks main campus.

Jul 3, 13 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: