Archinect
anchor

Brown Note, Real of Myth?

Renewable

Is this thing for real? AKA "Crap Cannon"
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/06/10/activists-preparing-against-use-of-brown-note-at-dem-convention/
I have also heard rumors of disgrintled DJ's using the tone to induce a "Disco Dump".
(Please save the obvious "If it's from Fox news it must be true" remarks)

Jun 11, 08 12:23 pm

Umm.
Nope see here
Danger Room

Jun 11, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Umm.
Nope see here
Danger Room

Jun 11, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

it's REAL and it's called 4 More Years McBush.

Jun 11, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

vote McChange!

Jun 11, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

YEAH!

McBush and our exxonomy will flourish!

Jun 11, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

John McChange will veto all beers!

Jun 11, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i hate beer.

Obama does Jaeger bombs...

John McSame for Budweiser!

Jun 11, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

can we just called him Oldeyballs LaRue? He looks like a "LaRue" for some reason...

and another thing... i...can...not...stand...his...voice!!!!!!!!!! whats with that disgusting ssssssssssssss whistle all the time... he sounds like that peadophile grandpa from family guy... or maybe hes got too much spit in his mouth... get that man a young boy... or a spitoon...anything... just lose the shshshshshshs all the time

Jun 11, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL!

Jun 11, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
mation

v funny, lletdownl !

speaking of sonic devices to influence behavior: in london, there is a high-pitch sound device (the mosquito) used at shopfronts which makes an annoying sound only perceptible by teenagers, in order to prevent loitering. i've seen them but i can't hear them.

kids have now used it as a ringtone at school so that teachers don't hear the phone ring or vibrate. i can hear that ringtone if i put the phone close to my ear, but i still strain to hear it.

apparently it's sold in the US now too.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3356157.ece

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

Jun 18, 08 6:49 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yahoo i can hear that!

Jun 18, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

you know whats sort of interesting about this... when i was younger and still living at home, our computer was in the hallway outside my bedroom. it was virtually impossible for me to fall asleep with it on because it emitted this high pitched buzz just like this ring tone. I hear it from computers and tvs (when they are muted) still.

anyone else know that sensation? when you feel like you can HEAR the tv being on even when the volume is off? I have my tv set as an alarm clock in my bedroom, and during the weekends i have to go in and UNSET the alarm because ive learned that if i leave the alarm set and just mute the volume, that high frequency sound from the tv will sometimes be enough to wake me up saturday mornings...

and here i always just thought it was a mental thing...

Jun 18, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god, mation, that is amazing!!!!! I totally can't hear it, until the age 60 level (I'm 41), but my husband (42) can hear all of them!!! He was sitting across the room going "What the hell is that noise?!" when I was wondering if my speakers are on, hahahaha! He always tells me my hearing is bad, I guess now we have proof!!

The funny thing is, he teaches 18-25 year olds, so I told him to tell his students the mosquito ring won't work in his class!

Jun 18, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ugh, I have a headache now.

Way back in, um, 1991? I went to a Survival Research Labs performance in Seattle - they used a sonic cannon-type thing that actually sent a physical force wave across the crowd - it was supposedly a weapon, but I thought it was cool.

Jun 18, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 
mation

lletdownl - interesting that you can still hear the tv on mute.

can you hear all of the frequency ranges on the first link i posted?

Jun 18, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

wasn't this a southpark episode?

Jun 18, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i couldnt hear 22.4khz, which was the very highest one, i could hear all the others though.

thats a pretty interesting thing though, i figured id have bad hearing from how many shows ive seen, loud amps and loud headphones.

Jun 18, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Letdown,

I know what you are talking about with the TV on Mute, monitors etc. My wife can hear it very clearly from quite far away. I never notice it untill she mentions it, and then if I become very attentive to it, I can detect it too. It is sort of one of those things were once you notice it, it becomes really hard to stop noticing it.

Jun 18, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

HA! i knew i wasnt crazy.

and i might have lied on my hearing test, i could only distinctly hear a tone up to the 19k range, but i could distinctly hear the clicking all the way to 22.4k. im guessing hearing the clicking doesnt count though...

Jun 18, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
ARKTEK

I swear Sears used to (maybe still?) have something like that near the entrance inside the mall here in winston-salem. My brother and I used to be able to hear it, but our parents couldn't (this was circa 1985 or therabouts).

lletdownl, I can hear the TV on mute. Can't stand it. But I can't stand some commercials either (looking at you car dealers). I always just figured it was our crappy TV and not TVs in general.

Jun 18, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
ZipGUN

"...involuntary gastro-intestinal motility..."

My highly developed sixth-grade sense of humor didn't allow me to read any further in the article....ahh, funny.....

Jun 19, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: