Archinect
anchor

Going from B.S.Arch to BARCH for licensure

AssociateArch

I have a Bachelor of Applied Science in Architecture degree, I am currently working and have almost finished all IDP hours.  I can't sit for the ARE with a pre professional degree in Illinois until I am enrolled in a BARCH or MARCH program.  I would appreciate any suggestions for continuing this non traditional path to licensure cheaply and effectively.

Jun 29, 13 7:35 pm
observant

Do you plan to practice in IL?  Will IL grant reciprocity to people coming in from another state?  If so, how long is that door staying open?  Are there neighboring states that allow you to test and license with a pre-professional degree and non-resident status?  If so, and IL holds the door open for a while, you can do that, but between NCARB transmitting the file and a state supplemental exam, it can get tight.

Do B.Arch. programs pick up BS Arch candidates for a 5th year?  Or would you be able to do +2 somewhere? Can you afford to be out of the work force for more school?  If you are degreed and have done IDP, you are chronologically more of an adult than a fresh college grad, so I would ask myself these questions.  The key one is the use of adjacent states and knowing how IL views this ... and for HOW LONG.

Jun 29, 13 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
AssociateArch

Thanks for the insight observer.  Unfortunately Illinois doesn't offer reciprocal licensure.  It seems counter productive to move for a few years rather than one more year of school.  It is merely frustrating that I can't take tests while I have free time and can get reimbursed from my employer.  Contrarily I have to wait until I am a broke college student with no free time.

Jun 30, 13 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Look at these

utah has an accelerated  15 month master

ltu has a online m.arch 2 year so you wouldn't have to stop working

the bac also has a online m.arch for working students. 

Or b.arch completion a unc charhlotte 

http://coaa.uncc.edu/academics/school-of-architecture/admissions/undergraduate-bachelor-of-architecture

I know there are a few more that let you just do the fifth year. 

Jun 30, 13 10:59 am  · 
 · 
observant

^

Right, good call, I know there are some on-line programs now, which are accredited, and Lawrence Tech is one state over from the OP.

Also, you're right, Utah does have that quick M.Arch. 2, where the academic year is bookended by 2 full time summers.  I don't know of anyone else who does that.  However, it will be at out of state rates for the OP.  But Lawrence Tech on line is private, so that's somewhat costly, too.

So UNC Charlotte picks up 4 years from somewhere else for a 5th year?  I guess it can happen.  That would be kind of weird, immersing oneself into a stream that has had a different school of fish swimming in it.  But if it works ...

Jun 30, 13 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: