Archinect
anchor

Bringing CATIA / GC / DP / etc to Television

archytect

Oy.

So I'm a designer on a popular TV show right now - we deal with interior design more than anything, but my training is as an architect.

I've been doing well, and the audience likes me - so I've tried pushing the boundaries a little here and there by bringing in some Digital Project and 3D CAD stuff, using CNC milling to create some organic forms for the show. The response has been incredulous and enthusiastic, and now they're asking me to put together another design show that allows me to focus on emerging technologies, methods, and materials.

Never woulda thought this was going to happen, but there we go. I'm excited, and I'm forging some new partnerships. I already have laser cutting and milling equipment donated, I'm working on some rapid prototyping machines to be sent over. Digital Project has expressed interest in providing some licenses, but I'm hoping CATIA might be interested, too. I want to showcase all that's out there - from Rhino up to CATIA, and show off all that we can do. It's a unique opportunity to experiment with these methods without having to pay for any software or hardware or materials - and be on TV doing it.

So here's why I'm on this forum right now: I need some help. I've been out of the CATIA world for a few years now, and I wasn't even that good at it when I was doing it. I need a real expert who can not only teach me, but also keep an eye out for whatever the latest thing to showcase might be. Essentially, I'm looking for an assistant that might get featured on the show, modelling and milling, making connections with manufacturers, etc. I'm not in charge of who gets to be featured, so that's a discussion that can take place later. (And if you don't want to be featured, that's OK too)

The person I'm looking for will probably have to relocate to where we're located. More details on that if you send me your information. The money is decent - nothing spectacular - but certainly enough. The real draw is the opportunity to experiment with digital processes in design with a long client list, high material budgets, lots of people donating things just to get featured, and immediate gratification. Of course, if the show is a hit, the money gets much better very quickly. And keep in mind, any techie thing you want, people donate.

Something tells me the hours will be long - we turn shows around FAST, and modelling and milling everything right is going to take long, precise hours. But we're all used to that, right?

So - let me know your thoughts. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Later

Jun 8, 08 10:56 am
archytect

ps, I'm also open to suggestions for new software/methods/materials/technologies to feature. If you've got an idea that you think people would enjoy seeing, let me know. If it's your own company or process, maybe we can work together and we can credit you.

Jun 8, 08 11:07 am  · 
 · 

what if we're just fabrication junkies without CATIA experience and are open to doing all the learning for you and just passing along what you'd need to know?

Jun 8, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

this sounds fun. too bad i'm too set in my ways to do something like this. if i didn't have a house and kids and need a good amount of money to keep solvent (i.e., if i was still free and easy like in, oh, 1997) i'd do this in a second.

good luck, archytect. hope you guys have a good show.

Jun 8, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
archytect

Pixelwhore - very good point. I'm open to fabrication junkies! As long as, like you said, you're ready to take the lead and figure all this stuff out on a pretty steep learning curve.

At the end of the day - the show would still be awesome if all we did was approximate everything on Maya and Rhino. But we might as well push that boundary as well.

Jun 8, 08 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

[email sent]

Jun 8, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
trailerpark

email sent
also: why CATIA?

Jun 9, 08 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
jchang

how and where and when do we see the show?

Jun 10, 08 3:58 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

He can't tell you. It's confidential.

Jun 10, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: