Archinect
anchor

Datascapes: One Week Course on Mapping and Visualization in Downtown Las Vegas

Kmccown

Hello Everyone

I'm writing about a course geared towards upper level undergraduates, graduates and interested professionals.  We are having a late summer week-long experience in Downtown Las Vegas run by the AIA Las Vegas and the UNLV Downtown Design Center. I'm wondering if you might share this information with those you think would be interested. This might be a good means of immersion in an interdisciplinary and international design experience driven by analysis and visualization.

We are recruiting participants for DATASCAPES, taught by Nadia Amoroso. This program will enable attendees to explore exciting places in Las Vegas as part of the week. During their explorations, participants will take data on observations, and learn a new software that enables them to connect the data directly to their place. At the end of the experience, attendees should have a great understanding of flows and forces in affecting urban design, and the capacity to map that data in geolocated, three-dimensional form.

For students, this week-long studio does not have explicit University credit, but we can provide a syllabus to attendees to take back to their institutions. The AIA Las Vegas and the University of Nevada, Las Vegas will give out certificates of completion. For professionals, there will also be an opportunity to gain continuing education credits.

We are working on trying to get complimentary housing for the students, but if this is not possible, there should be affordable places to stay, which we have listed on our website.  We should be able to get housing with the Zappo's/Downtown Project at $350 for the week at single occupancy.

Basic information about the studio can be found here:https://unlvddc.squarespace.com/mapping-invisibles/

Also please note we're looking for opportunities to offer courses that can use Las Vegas as a laboratory.  If you, or you know anyone that might be interested, please feel free to contact me about a potential partnership for teaching opportunities here at the Center.

Jun 27, 13 7:43 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: