Archinect
anchor

job prospects without any internship experience?

imfalling

Hello,

I will be graduating from a top M.Arch I program next year, but have no internship experience under my belt. In previous summers, I ended up traveling through Europe/the U.S. and took a few courses (figured I wouldn't have many more opportunities to do that post-graduation). But now I'm a little worried. Am I going to be able to find a job in architecture without any professional experience? My work (I believe) is good and my school is top-notch but is that going to cut it?

Jun 24, 13 2:00 pm
Anob

If you're lucky  you can a underpayed  internship for at least 2-3 years. After those years are over look for a new position or demand a raise.  Good Luck. 

Just my 2cents: I believe Masters in Arch is Bull ish. Those with masters have a target on their backs. Employers view them as only designers and can only do Architectural work. I've met a lot of principals with only a BS. If you have a BS in Arch put that on your resume and get some field experience

Jun 24, 13 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
c.woodward10

At the same time, you need to get a Masters for these 4+2 programs so there is that as well. Just depends on what imfalling was in if you are going to go there.

Jun 24, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Hope some of those electives you took involved technical drawing. You have a year to learn how a building is put together. 

However, don't be overly concerned...I'd venture to say that most graduates obtain their degrees with no real-world experience. Hence the low-ball salaries and years of toiling over bathroom details. 

Jun 24, 13 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Just my 2cents: I believe Masters in Arch is Bull ish. Those with masters have a target on their backs. Employers view them as only designers and can only do Architectural work. I've met a lot of principals with only a BS. If you have a BS in Arch put that on your resume and get some field experience

It doesn't sound like he has a BS in Arch.  It sounds like a M.Arch. after something else.  They don't have a target on their backs.  Employers where they are not common in the firm aren't crazy about them.  I did the M.Arch in 3 years and did not work in the summers in between. I often traveled to see family and finding an internship for such increments didn't pan out.  I took technical drawing prior to M.Arch. and AutoCAD at a c.c. afterward.  It took work, but I got a job in about 2 months or so.

This only goes to show how much division there is between the different degree holders.  There is the 5, the 4+2, and the 4+3(+).  They are all accredited.  They are all meant to get you to the same place.  Some 5s think the 4+2s have a chip for having a masters (literally), and both of those groups in turn dislike the 4+3(+)s. 

Yes.  You can find an internship.  Push your portfolio, what you learned in school, what you learned in your travels, and your work ethic.  If it becomes problematic, then go take a certificate, or coursework, in construction drawings and Revit cheaply at a community college.  Had I not done AutoCAD back then, I wouldn't have gotten a job.

Jun 24, 13 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

Hustle, network, portfolio

Jun 24, 13 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

I will briefly tell you my own experience. I've a BS in Architecture and pursuing a master degree to finally have the opportunity to apply for my license. I got my first professional experience in a engineering company as BIM Technician when I was in my second year of my degree. It's been two years since that, today I've professional experience in BIM, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Photoshop, plus some structure and MEP.

I've done some research since my first job to figure out which are the skills on the demand in architectural firms. I used the information collected to add those skills not just to my resume, also as an option to my employers to get professional experience in those skills. This method has worked very good, employers love professionals with variety of skills and I get the experience I want.

However, I've very deep experience in BIM, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Photoshop, and  so on I've not landed my first job in an architectural firm. I'd couple of interviews, they get impress with my portfolio, which means my portfolio is not that bad. With my set of skills and my experience I've got jobs in engineering firms, and construction software companies very easy. Few of my class mates have landed their jobs mainly in residential design firms with zero experience, which means their are a lot possibilities. I would recommend to stay positive, DO NOT GIVE UP and keep looking you will land a the job you want. Good luck!         

Jun 25, 13 9:26 am  · 
 · 
wood_

any advice for someone who graduated with a m.arch a few years ago?

no experience other than a few of months at a small firm some time ago and an undergrad discipline in something outside of design. Most of my school work is not as compelling as I would like for them to be - thus I've never really completed an official portfolio for myself and just now getting back in the routine of creating again.  Only this time, the work is a bit more purposeful and a recollection of who I am as a designer outside the academia realm.

My plan is to keep creating and documenting my work and learn a few new skills along the way.  I'm more interested in the research and fabrication aspect of architecture though it would also be nice to work toward my license which is why it isn't my main concern at the moment.

I'm currently learning the fabrication of materials in general and would like to get into cnc milling/programming eventually when the resources are there.  For now, I'm slowly building furnitures in my basement while working at a metal shop as a drafter to suppliment my tools and resources. It's been a rather humbling, yet interesting experience.

Other than what I am currently doing, what are some of the things I could look into in order to gain relevant exposure to architecture and prepare myself as an effective employee at any office I wish to work for?

Jun 25, 13 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Wood-

Use your skills and experience and work for a Contractor or a Construction Management Firm. With your experience I would focus Industrial R&D, and  Commercial construction. Send at least 60 resumes a day (Trust me on that). Fuck those people who say research a company and do your research and network with employees that work there LMAO.

"It's A Waste Of Time".  Getting a job is like picking women up. Talk to 100 girls you might get 25 numbers and you might get to have sex with 5 or 6 of them. And be willing to move to a new location.

Jun 25, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

^
Doesn't sound like horrible advice at all...

Jun 25, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

^ once you finally get one, you'll end up spending hundreds of dollars on doing crap you don't want just to keep them.  

^and then in 20 years, after putting up with their shit for your entire life and throwing away good opportunities in the name of love and passion, they'll say they don't want you anymore, and leave you out on the sidewalk, leaving you with nothing but regret.

Jun 25, 13 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
med.

You'll be fine.  Just knock em dead with an outstanding folio and good attitude.

Jun 28, 13 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: