Archinect
anchor

Who are Rawlings Architects, and what are they doing to the Lower East Side?

samspade

I just discovered that two highrises under construction on the Lower East Side--one on Allen Street, the other on Delancey--are by the same architect. Why?

Why do mainstream architecture critics only write about condo towers by Tschumi and Nouvel, while passively ignoring all the other mediocre residential construction that threatens to overwhelm our island? It's bad enough that a crane collapses every couple of months, but once the construction equipment is gone we still have to live with these buildings every day.

Just because the zoning resolution says you can, doesn't mean you should....

May 30, 08 10:32 pm
evilplatypus

Because architecture and architecture critics belong to a priveldged group of monied elites and can afford to overlook the general state of construction arts meant for the common folk

May 30, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

In short - its a fashion show

May 30, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
samspade

Nevertheless, the Times reviews almost every film that gets a theatrical release--even the films that don't offer previews to critics.

What particularly gets my goat is that the website for the hotel going up on Allen Street (http://www.thompsonhotels.com) boldly trumpets the architects' "conceptual design." What on earth is the concept? Why doesn't anyone take the time to call their bluff?

May 30, 08 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

if there isn't much to say about it, why would they write about it? the design looks neither horrible nor terribly interesting. it'll be a background building with - possibly - some scale issues, from what i can tell.

i expect that the 'conceptual design ed rawlings' line means that there was a hotel-maker firm that did the documents after mr rawlings was finished with the schematic design.

there is a value in general conversation about every building that goes up in our cities and, for the most part, these should be community conversations. i've often thought that a edited open forum-type column about developments in louisville would be good, allowing people to make their comments about new work but edited so that it doesn't involve into fluff. but who has time?

the critics aren't likely to pick up this kind of day-to-day workmanlike stuff because there are so few architecture critics, they have to cover the things that make a difference across the whole of architecture culture, and they're not likely to find this one interesting enough to talk about.

May 31, 08 7:19 am  · 
 · 
Mc Taco

Steven is right on.

I checked out the rendering on Allen St. and it doesnt look that bad. Granted the scale looks akward in its context.

I enjoy comments 'our island' and 'our cities' like we own a piece of it. We do not own anything. We are just obidenet workers. The rich and powerful own 'the island' and 'our cities'. We can only stare.

Jun 1, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: