Archinect
anchor

RFIs and ASKs

farwest1

I've inherited a project that is a chaos of ASKs. In order to make each change, a new file is created with the name of the ASK and the revision. But each of these also has ALL of the rest of the drawing info in it. So there are scores of drawings with duplicate info in the server.

The system was left over from the old days of hand drafting. But I find that it fails miserably with digital technology.

How do other offices deal with changes during construction? Do you keep all of the revisions in a single file that's updated all the time?

Is there a resource out there (online or book) that would outline the standard practice for RFIs and ASKs?

May 30, 08 6:10 pm
larslarson

i use the same file and keep pdfs of each revision...
unless i made a drastic change..in which case i keep the old file for backup just in case i have to go backwards.

but for the most part i just keep the pdfs as backup

May 30, 08 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
enzo76

Ditto. In AutoCAD, each plot file has tabs for ASK's, with a separate folder full of the pdf versions for use and record. That way, you're more or less good to go when it's time to produce record documents at the end of construction, since your AutoCAD files are fairly up to date.

The severity of the change shouldn't matter since you (hopefully) archived after issuing for bid.

May 30, 08 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: