Archinect
anchor

Autocad 2006 - Assistance Required ("Drawing File is Not Valid")

phased

Hi there,

Working on a school project, a group member sent me this autocad file, he uses 2008, i use 2006, but i had him save in in 2004 dwg format so i could use it.

i can't get it to open for the life of me. i've tried opening in acad, microstation, sketchup, with no avail. 'drawing file is not valid' comes up, even though a thumbnail preview of the drawing appears.

can anybody help me out?

here is the yousendit download link

http://download.yousendit.com/A6606D3078691211

any help is MUCH appreciated. this is driving me crazy.

May 18, 08 12:55 am
phased

Solution found. Thanks!

May 18, 08 7:08 am  · 
 · 

my guess is that your friend didn't save it down to '04 after all. this happens to me all the time since, because i'm overseeing everything only and not drawing much, i'm the only one in the office who doesn't yet rate a copy of '08.

May 18, 08 7:18 am  · 
 · 
gonad

all these dwg file versions.... so annoying.
apparently, there will be another file type with the next release of autocad (2010).

poo

May 18, 08 7:35 am  · 
 · 
phased

yeah, it's a joke. why change the formatting each release? it makes no sense.

i guess one more 'incentive' autodesk dangles to force upgrades to the latest release acad.

May 18, 08 8:23 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

how did you fix it?. i tried opening your file with 2004 and it gave me the same message so the file might gone.

i just learned this from the internet...if you open the file with notepad, the first letters will be an "ACxxxx" code that indicates what version it is saved in. it looks like your file was saved to 2004/2005/2006.

i thought autodesk made 2006 have the ability to read all dwg file versions including versions after it. or at least program their later versions so that they can be opened with older versions? that was one of the sales pitch i read.

May 18, 08 11:25 am  · 
 · 
phased

not really a 'solution' per se, but i had the bloke send it over in .dxf format of all things (we tried every format dwg to no avail), then imported. scale went haywire, but after a bit of fiddling i got it okay..

May 18, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
mischka

theres a simple trick that can take care of all your problems:
download dwg trueconvert from autodesk.

May 18, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
phased

^^ im afraid not. i downloaded 2009 and the file still would not open..

May 19, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

try DWGtrueview

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6703438%26siteID=123112

Use the free* DWG TrueView™ to accurately view, plot, and publish authentic DWG™ and DWF™ files. And now, DWG TrueView incorporates all the functionality of DWG TrueConvert™. This means you can translate any AutoCAD® or AutoCAD-based drawing file for compatibility.
May 19, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

or try Rhinoceros or an IntelliCAD http://www.intellicad.org/members/products.php . (this is the whole reason Autodesk is loosing a lawsuit to the Open DWG alliance)

May 19, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
May 19, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
mischka

theres something wrong w the file, i downloaded it and tried to open w my 2008 but just get the invalid message.
trueconvert works surprisingly well otherwise.. not that im a big autodesk fan or anything...

May 20, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Dikor

sometimes when there is circular reference in the file due to many xrefs in the file ..it may be unable to open ..check ur xrefs

May 24, 08 6:21 am  · 
 · 
zlatan24

For working out given trouble you may use present program. dwg recovery has many facilities which allowing recover crashed or lost dwg files after power failures, viruses.

Jul 13, 11 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: