Archinect
anchor

NYC Salaries

andrewmikhaelarch

Hi All....
I'm a few years out of graduate school, halfway through licensing exams, which would make me an "Architect/Designer I" according to the AIA, but I feel my experience doesn't match that definition outright. I've worked for a world renowned architect, grew into a leadership position, had a ton of experience on major projects, and made pretty good money for my age (mid 60's).

I'm curious what the New York City market is like for someone like me. I know from friends there that they don't seem to make quite as much, possibly a supply/demand thing. Do people just look at the years you've been out of school? The salary poll is really crazy, with salaries all over the map. Is there any rhyme or reason to New York salaries? My job search for now is pretty broad, looking at big and small sized firms, varying design levels.

Your comments?

May 15, 08 4:16 pm
ChopChop

I work for a NYC starchitect, and my sense is that the salaries here are widely/wildly variant. My advice is to get a couple of offers, and then make the office that you really want to work for pay what their competitors pay. This only works if you are working between 2 roughly equivalent firms though. Mid 60s sounds quite attainable, though.

May 15, 08 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

honestly, I think the salaries here are the same as salaries in any other US city, and vary just as much firm to firm. The difference here is that the cost of living can be ridiculously high. I'm sure you have a general idea of what you should be making based on your experience, so like chopchop said, shop around. If you can, check out both large and smaller firms to get an idea of the range... For more in depth discussion, check out these previous threads, some provide a lot of good information:

May 15, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: