Archinect
anchor

Spertus Exhibit

evilplatypus

An interesting development is taking place at the Spertus Jewish Institute in Chicago. A new exhibit on maps of the Holy Land" has been shuttered because of mantainance issues, howevver the provocative and possibly inflamatory exhibit may be the real cause of the shows quick exit.

So whats really going on in the Spertus? Even the reporters havent figured exactly whats going on. But it makes me want to go see the show even more now!

[url=htthttp://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-spertus-14-may14,0,5061231.story
]link[/url]

"A controversial exhibition on Holy Land maps and boundaries, both ancient and contemporary, was suspended in the Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies' museum less than a week after it opened.

Rhoda Rosen, the Chicago museum's director and curator of the exhibition, "Imaginary Coordinates," said Tuesday that the show was closed last Thursday because of maintenance issues in the 7-month-old building's 10th-floor gallery. She acknowledged that the show is provocative and "some people expressed concerns about presenting these issues in a Jewish museum."

May 14, 08 1:42 pm
liberty bell

Personally I don't give a damn about the exhibit, but I'm itching to go see the awesome building!

May 14, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Me t o - I thought this building exhibit would be a great intro to see it.

As for the exhibit from what I hear its maps of the "holy land" from ancient to modern from Europeans, Palestinians and various jewish sects as well as arabian trade routes etc. Its multimedia and they overlay the maps on each other among various other exhibits from what I hear.

I find it hard to believe the faceted facade is the culprit and what kind of mantainance could it be?

Will this stain the reputation of this building?

May 14, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

the facade in question.

http://www.spertus.edu/

May 14, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: