Archinect
anchor

Entrance Portfolio for College

Gmatc

I'm an advocate that sometimes, I know I haven't even started educating yet,  the materials determine the form; just as function also determines it.  Instead of drawing structures and uneducated(underlined) plans of things such as, say, an art studio or a 3 bedroom house, I'd rather go the route of showing what different materials or purposes can do i.e. a building or a house that's earthquake resistant or a house's shapes made of re-enforced concrete.  So I guess my question is what book should I start with?  Is there a book that talks about (probably basically) structures, materials and methods, seismic, ect.?
I just think drawing houses without anyone's actual directions, or buildings will be uninteresting...if anyone wants to act as an imaginary client giving needs of their building that'd be cool but I don't think I would want to post the end result. :\

Jun 13, 13 1:45 pm
snail

For an application portfolio to an undergraduate architecture program, you don't need to think about drawing houses at all - they generally want to see evidence of creativity/artistic skill. You're right that if you do want to do something that is related to buildings somehow, looking at specific materials could be more rigorous than simply drawing a building plan when you have no actual experience.

Jun 13, 13 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

haha yup .. you might be better off doing something creative like building a sculpture, painting, writing a story or even videotaping yourself dancing.  Anyone can open a book on the latest materials/technolody, copy details and get into the nitty gritty.. Its how you use it creatively that'll catch the eyes of the admissions panel.

Jun 13, 13 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: