Archinect
anchor

Celtic Architecture

kakacabeza

Does anyone know of any cool firms in the Celtic Nations, specifically in Edinburgh, Cardiff, and Dublin. I know Dublin is becoming a world class city, ranked third after London and Paris as top European cities to visit, but I haven't heard much about the architecture scene. I also know there are only 2 architecture schools in Ireland, so it seems like there is a lot of room for growth in the architectural culture there. Anyone in the know?

Sep 17, 04 2:58 pm
BOTS

read this for Wesh Architecture

http://www.riba.org/go/RIBA/About/RSAW_263.html

it's a large subject and I'll post more later

Sep 20, 04 6:35 am  · 
 · 
mark

This is a huge topic :)

As you've said, there are only two schools, each with about 50 graduates per year. I don't regard those numbers as being detrimental. If you compare it to somewhere like France or Italy, countries that are swimming in new graduates every year, architects in Ireland have a much higher rate of employment, salary, and opportunity to get projects built. I think that there was (and still is) much room for growth, but not in terms of graduate numbers.

Just a bit of background - Ireland was extremely depressed economically from about 1985 - 1995. There was virtually nothing being built, there was mass immigration, and no work at all for graduates. Most ended up moving abroad to find work, and those that did stay and set up practices became tutors to pay the bills.

Gradually things picked up, and by 1997/98 virtually all graduates stayed in Ireland. Not only that, but people who had set up practices 10 years previous were now winning commissions as a resurgent economy moved on. I suppose the one drawback with size is that it does tend to be a case of 'the usual suspects' when it comes to certain types of commission, and probably also when it comes to awards and publicity.

Anyway, here's some links to some firms who do consistently good work:

Niall McCullough & Valerie Mulvin
Sheila O'Donnell & John Tuomey
Michael McGarry & Siobhan Ní Éanaigh

and some younger firms (under 40)

Merritt Bucholz & Karen McEvoy
Martin Henchion & Klaus Reuter
Michel Fagan, Paul Kelly & Gary Lysagth
Box Architecture

Grafton Architects are one of the best practices in the country, but unfortunately they don't have a website. Neither do other high quality, influential architects like Fionnuala Rogerson, Grainne Hassett & Vincent Ducatez, Henegan Peng, or Dermot Boyd & Peter Cody.

All of these practices I've mentioned are relatively small, 10-15 staff members or less. There are obviously other more commercial practices with 40-50 staff, but there isn't much point linking them because their work isn't that interesting. Btw, Some of the sites don't do them justice (especially Henchion Reuter and McGarry Ní Éanaigh),

If you want a more general flavour of things, there are some very good photographs of built work (including work by Grafton Architects) by some of these practices on this photographer's site:

Ros Kavanagh

Sep 20, 04 8:49 am  · 
 · 
highrise

try this for edinburgh :

www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk

You should check out Glasgow too

www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk

Oct 1, 04 7:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: