Archinect
anchor

Rhino Display Issues...

fine line

A little help needed from all the Rhino guru's here...

The problem I'm having is that in Perspective view with any form of shaded view on, the geometry is all screwed up, i.e. wireframe is fine, but shaded/rendered gemoetry is very jagged, innacurate / looks like jigsaw pieces on straight edges, curves etc...
The edges of the shaded geometry also do not match up with the wireframe.
I have a NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS graphics card.
Any help would be much appreciated. I hate to ask but I've tried everything I know and deadlines are approaching...

May 12, 08 5:48 pm
mack

Go to document properties
>mesh
>Smoother and Slower or customize

That should fix it.

May 12, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

Tried that. It affects the distortion, but by no means makes it better.

May 12, 08 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

that's weird. i was gonna suggest what mack said, but if that didn't work... sounds like a display driver issue. do you have any kind of similar problems with other 3d programs?

i'd try updating video drivers. if that doesn't work, try *down*grading the drivers (to an older version). it's scary how often new drivers break things.

if none of that works, try fiddling with your rhino display settings (Tools -> Options -> Appearance -> OpenGL). I'm assuming you're using OpenGL?

I'm also assuming you're using windows xp, but if you're using vista, it's a whole 'nother ballgame. There are some serious known issues with display performance in vista, and solutions for same are on the rhino3d.com web site.

May 12, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I know the issue you are speaking of. It's not a render mesh issue, though Mack's suggestion is helpful for another less annoying issue.

I had this problem on older Dell with GeForce. I want to throw the computer out. Your problem could be the display driver. Alias use to have a guide on which driver version is best for your card.

I've had much luck with what Mission's suggests:

Options>OpenGL

Try changing Driver Display Mode. Test each of them. I use Software Emulation medium 00.

But also fiddle with your driver settings in your control panel. Sometimes the defaults are set for the silly graphic effects of XP. (Turn all of those effects off too)

May 12, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

I'm using Rhino 4 (service pack 3) on Vista.
No problems with any other 3D programs. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to just be a display thing, as it also renders odd.
I've already played around with the openGL settings and it changed the distortion a bit, but not for the better, just in a different way!

Where can I download older Nvidia drivers? I can only find the newest on their website.
I installed that recently in the hope of resolving a slightly different display issue and I think the new driver might be what's causing the problem.

I checked the Rhino website for Vista related problems, but couldn't find anything specifically related to this problem.

Where do you find the Driver Display Mode Garpike?

Thanks guys!

May 12, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
LQQK

Try changing the unit tolerance in your model from 0.1 to 0.001

May 13, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

It was to do with the drawing being too far from the origin. Although I reset the origin of the construction plane so I thought this wasn't the issue, it turns out Rhino has a set origin and it's the distance from here that was the problem. An imported DWG was to blame.
Info on a solution here...
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/FarFromOrigin.html

Thanks for all the help.

Any chance anyone knows how to model a deformed, triangulated steel grid? Something like Coop Himmelblau BMW.

May 13, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

1. Flow Along surface....
You can create the surface, of were to project your tri-steel grid. after you create surface use the surface unroll tool(or squish, or smash if necesery). creat a triangulate steel grid pattern on top of the surface unrolled. Then you use the flow along surface tool..
Which will first ask you to select objects to flow alon a surface, then it will ask for a reference surface (this is where you will chose the unrolled surface, then finally target surface..... You would have options for Rigidness choose no.... (You can use the History - to create a semi parametric tool with this)

2. Cage Deformers
This approach you will have to create a pattern and Use the cage deformers to create the shape you are looking for....

Both of these options work great for me, But there probably are better ways to approach this......Someone with more experience might be able to give better alternatives

May 13, 08 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

These two approaches are kind of an eyeball type of approach, but Like I said they work great for me......

here are samples of what I created with these approaches during experimentation of these tools

May 13, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

Thanks very much, should work great!

May 14, 08 5:27 am  · 
 · 
garpike

fine line, if your renderings are also bad, it must be an issue with rendering mesh. Or just a bad object.

Render engines do not require video cards.

Driver Display Mode is under OpenGL in Rhino 3 under Options. I need to get on Rhino 4...

May 15, 08 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

It's not render mesh or bad objects (checked)
It was to do with being too far away from the origin and so I guess objects not being built properly. I don't quite understand why it was all screwy, but by redrawing it in a new file (tedious...) it's all sorted.

Rhino 4 is a big step up in terms of features I believe (never used 3 properly, but did notice some significant differences from just a brief usage.)

May 15, 08 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
polymniaskorda

hello

i have a big rhino file and i cant change it from wireframe to shaded...the file is actually a stadium

Dec 11, 20 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: