Archinect
anchor

Another advice thread.. with a twist.

accesskb

Here is the scenario.  You're 29 and currently earn $110,000 / year running your own business from home, working your own hours, minus all the stress and ridiculous unpaid overtime hours that comes from working in an architecture firm.  However, there isn't much growth in this field and you aren't challenged.  Your real passion was and still is architecture, but as we all know it the future in this profession is bleak.  

Would you put aside your personal venture and go pursue architecture, enroll in Masters which could last two to three years, put yourself back in debt?

What would you do or what is your advice?

Jun 11, 13 6:50 pm

There is a great possibility you will find even less growth, challenge and passion in architecture. Make the coin now, and sock it all away then go into architecture in your 40's.

Jun 11, 13 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I'd like to know what this business is.
Jun 11, 13 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^ importing metalsmith/jewelry making tools, materials, gemstones etc and selling them for profit :) 

Jun 12, 13 12:27 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm with Kevin W.

Kick off your 40s with a second career, after a decade of $ocking it away.

Jun 12, 13 12:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm still trying to figure out how this is a problem, needing a solution. 

Jun 12, 13 6:01 am  · 
 · 

The problem is that the cup is half empty. 

Jun 12, 13 8:40 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

Can you figure out a way to do both? Can you earn enough to support yourself and pay for your education so you don't go into debt? Keep that business going on the side after you have completed your education because you won't make anywhere near $110k at an architectural firm for a very long time.

Jun 12, 13 9:15 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think it's interesting this person isn't challenged anymore.  what field are they in?  i wold love to trade places.  if there is one thing i'm good at, it's making unnecessary challenges for myself.

take that $110,000 a year and flexible schedule and build a shed out back.  or get creative and build a gazebo.  then you get all the joys of architecture without giving up your cushy job :)

Jun 12, 13 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If you passion is architecture, then go design-build some or buy some! Why would you go to architecture school? People that go to architecture school do NOT have a monopoly on making neat things. Sheesh.

Jun 12, 13 9:33 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I just started a business and know that personally it can be hard to separate yourself from the business. However, a profitable business is not contingent upon one individual to be profitable. Have you considered keeping the business intact while pursuing other endeavors? Needless to say, this is not easy; it involves hiring competent people to run the business, but allows you to retain your ownership position and frees up time to pursue other endeavors whether they be in architecture or otherwise. In some ways, by separating yourself from the business, it actually allows the business much more potential for growth. There are only so many hours in a day and so much one person can do before a business needs a larger organizational structure.

Jun 12, 13 9:47 am  · 
 · 
chingale

The types of career questions and fulfilling life aspirations you are dealing with now are most likely the same ones you could be dealing with in architecture, except that you will be older, working longer hours, needing to learn lots of software, dealing with difficult office energy dynamics and your pay will be half of what you make now. And all of this will be going on while you may have family/children time and financial considerations.

Its extremely important to go into architecture with eyes wide open. There are deeply fulfilling, creative careers in architecture but I believe they are the exception rather than the norm and you really have to fight for it and work for it every single day.

Don't squander your wonderful opportunity to save and sock it away so that you can continue to evolve and explore who you are as a human being and what your deepest life ambitions are in your 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc  without financial hardship.

Jun 12, 13 10:18 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

If your "real passion" has always been architecture, why are you eleven years out of high school and only now thinking of making the change?  You must have had a reason not to make it your occupation in the beginning.

Jun 12, 13 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

thanks for all the responses :)  I think I'll keep doing this, save up, keep learning and enroll for masters down the road.

geezertect:  I do have an undergraduate degree in architecture..  Sure, I got into it late compared to most.  I had enrolled in other fields like business and arts straight out of highschool, switched to architecture when I met a friend who was going to school for it.  Its been tough but nothing has challenged me and given me a purpose to keep learning like architecture has.  I would've gone straight for my masters after undergrad if I could afford it.  I had a big debt when I finished undergrad and it was difficult finding work so I decided to earn money other ways.

Jun 12, 13 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with there is no there.  Save your money and start doing your own projects.  You most definitely do not need a master's degree, unless you want to teach of course.

Jun 13, 13 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: