Archinect
anchor

A question involving Indesign CS6

(Tobias)

Hey,

I realize this may not be the most relevant website to ask this question but here goes.

In order to practice for architecture school, which I enter this September, I've decided to give myself a few projects. One of them is recording an already existing structure and its connected site and editing and formatting the sections/plan/photographs using Photoshop and Indesign. The goal is to get good at these programs. 

I have a panorama stitched together Photoshop that has been sized to span exactly eight A4 pages. I'd like to bring the file into Indesign so that I can then align each shot to its specific plan and section sketches below (so 1/3 of the height of each page given to a plan/section/photographic section). 

When I bring the file into Indesign, however, I can't seem to get to span the 8 pages I have created. Is there a way to link 8 pages together in Indesign?

I could always import the photos individually into Indesign; is there an automated way of putting three Frames (of the same sizes) on all 8 pages in the document?

Thanks

Jun 10, 13 4:29 pm
jll3

Dont have CS6 but I'm assuming this will still work, this explains how to get pages to line up side by side in InDesign

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/2494/how-to-put-4-pages-next-to-each-other-in-indesign

Jun 10, 13 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

seems like you need to learn the basics about print set up. lord help us all.

Jun 10, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

seems like you need to learn the basics about print set up. lord help us all.

That's what he is trying to do before school starts.. I'm sure you didn't start out a pro either xD

Jun 10, 13 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

there may be a function that makes it easier but the way i do this is to copy the image to each page and move the contents inside the frame so it stops on page two and then starts again on page 3.  2 images not one.  same file is linked twice.  line it up in the margins of page 2 then move it over.  if there is a way to have images flow over pages like text that would be quite cool, but don't think that function exists...?

Jun 10, 13 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful
Why dont you make one page in indesign that's equivalent to the 8 pages? But there is a way to align 8 pages in one row. Google is your friend.
Jun 12, 13 1:10 am  · 
 · 
lauralich

It is hard without screenshots but here goes.

Set up your document normally.  Turn off Facing Pages in the document setup, because it gets confusing and rather annoying later on if it is on.  In the Pages panel flyout menu, turn off "Allow Document Pages to Shuffle." Drag a page thumbnail to the right edge of the first page, until you see a black "]" appear at that right edge. Let go. The page thumbnails will snap together, and in the document window you'll see the two pages side by side, like a regular spread.

Repeat for the remaining pages.

Just to address the comments above:

Do not just make a page that is the size of 8 pages and the comment "seems like you need to learn the basics about print set up. lord help us all" it ridiculous to me.  If you focus your time on other more important things in you architectural studies, you will never know the complete ins and outs of programs like this.  Architects and designers use these programs for presentation purposes and are never afraid to look something up.  Tutorials and Google are definitely your friend and it is the efficient way to get answers.

Jun 12, 13 9:14 am  · 
 · 
square

Tobias, just curious, have you played around with other programs, such as illustrator? when I was in school, I rarely used indesign; only for my portfolio towards then end. I now do a lot graphic design work, and again I rarely use indesign, mostly illustrator and some photoshop. with illustrator cs6, you can work with artboards (basically multiple pages at once), so if you're doing a document that is a few pages only, just forget indesign, which is better for a multiple spread, repetitious document.

point being I wouldn't waste your time learning indesign. if you learn the other programs well, using indesign will follow naturally (it's probably the easiest of the three that I mentioned to learn).

Jun 12, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 
square

also, if you only doing 8 pages, the artboards in illustrator cs6 can be a solution to your problem.

Jun 12, 13 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: