Archinect
anchor

2008 bored-and-restless-at-work grad school acceptees

quiksilver

Hi guys,

Anyone else bored and restless at work while they wait for school to begin?

Who is taking time off before school, how much time, and what are you guys doing this summer? I'm in the process of planning all that stuff and am wondering what others are thinking.

May 8, 08 12:07 pm
A V

Meeee! hahaha.
I'm leaving in late July. Working for now. Saving up for the 2-3 week roadtrip from Baltimore to L.A.

you?

May 8, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

ah, i am too. i've got a couple of weeks left here at work.

then i'll head up to ohio and michigan for a month or so and hang out with the family.

although i'm not going to grad school until next fall (deferred to get in state tuition), i'm done with an office job for a while. i'm going to be doing americorps for the next year with habitat for humanity in charlotte! yay for learning how to build houses v. just draw them.

May 8, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

up until september i'm not doing anything that has to do with architecture.

May 9, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
JC3000

I am barely hanging on at work. One reason I applied to school was because I hated my job and needed a change so the next few months is going to be painful.

But I am giving myself a month before school to move and relax. Taking a trip to Greece in a week and will be taking physics over the summer. And of course, lots of reading to try and catch up as I am a non-archer.

May 9, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ibizaClubbin

i'm in Paris :)

but getting worked like a cheap whore :(

May 10, 08 5:12 am  · 
 · 
quiksilver

At least you're not stuck in a corporate suburban firm like myself! I'd kill to be in Paris!

May 11, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

yeah, i've got six more weeks until my last day and it is definitely starting to feel like a chore. i'm also pulling double duty right now because my boyfriend is in the last week of his thesis, so i've been helping with that and staying up way too late to actually be productive at work.

i'm pretty much taking two months off before school starts - moving at the end of june and then just spending the rest of the summer going to the pool, taking the dog hiking, reading, and generally giving myself enough time to get bored. will probably also be taking a few short trips up and down the east coast. hopefully not getting screwed by the university housing office and ending up frantically scrambling to find an affordable off-campus apartment for the year...

May 12, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

I'm doing pretty much the same. I'll be taking two months off to read, exercise, sleep, take some mini-trips (all the stuff you don't get to do in school). I'll probably move to the east coast in mid-August.

Any summer reading suggestions anyone? (Doesn't necessarily have to be architectural)

May 12, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
nariman

i'm working and am bored here. moving to Toronto prolly in august to give myself a month to get settled in. i'm drawing a lot. abstract watercolours. I have some "must read" books on architecture but have not touched them. Currently reading Murakami. If you haven't read "Wind Up Bird Chronicle" then you're in for a treat.

I live in Vancouver so I'm trying to see as much of the "westcoast" as possible. Went to Hornby Island. Spent 5 days in a shack in the middle of the forest by myself. A little lonely but I would definitely recommend a solitary vacation somewhere quiet. Fresh local food. Beer. and making fires when it gets dark and cold. Here are some pics from my trip

http://www.narimanmousavi.com/sandbox/sandbox014.html

May 12, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: