si se peude!

May 5, 08 1:16 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Viva Mexico!

May 5, 08 2:01 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

I went to tijuana once for one night but all the bars that my friends and I went to refused to serve any alcohol. finally, one waiter explained that there's a law that alcohol cannot be sold on the day before an election...it was getting too late to drive home to los angeles so we went back and drove to san diego and stayed at a hotel with a medieval theme...the elevators where painted as if the doors were iron gates and walls made of stones. the hotel was cheap, had two rooms, a living room and a small kitchen. anyone from SD remember that place?

May 5, 08 2:09 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

*were

May 5, 08 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

No alcohol before an election?

In the early days of our union I do believe it was not uncommon for them to be pouring beer at polling locations.

I think voter turnout would increase at least 25% if they still offered free beer at the polls.

May 5, 08 2:14 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

reconquista !!

May 5, 08 2:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I spent a weekend in Puerta Vallarta with my parents when I was in high school. No alcohol that weekend, either, due to elections. But my parents met a ridiculously friendly local who borrowed a truck and drove us to a beach further down the coast where his brother in law had a beachside bar so we could drink and play in the water. I mainly remember the crazy drive back up to our hotel on a twisty mountain road with three drunk men - my dad included - in the truck cab while we kids hung on in the open pickup bed in back. Kinda can't believe my parents let us do that! Then I brought home a taxidermied iguana. I ate one of the most memorable emals of my life that trip: ceviche from a beach stand. Awesome.

Last night we had grilled shrimp tacos with pepper slaw and lemon creme fraiche. Happy Cinco de Mayo, everyone!

May 5, 08 7:42 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

In the soviet union they would give people vodka after they voted. Was the only way to get people to show up, as the outcome was already known.

Tonight I might have to tip back an ice cold Pacifico.

May 5, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i hate ppl think 5 de mayo is like a big national party here in mexico...

is not!

5 de mayo is "batalla de Puebla" no one celebrates it in mexico, the biggest thing u can get is that ur office or your school doesnt laborate that day...but is not common, is a regular working day, if u want to celebrate "as a mexican" wait for September 15-16 (independence day)

really, stop with the 5 de mayo "felicidades" thing and the "viva mexico" in 5 de mayo...gets a bit annoying

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Puebla

May 5, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

the fact that we're celebrating anything about mexico should be good enough

May 5, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

but but but. for us 'muricans it's much more fun to say sankodaymyo than bataladaypuebla.

May 5, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

NPR tells me LA has been celebrating this day since 1863 (the year after). Seems less about Mexico and more about the New World.

May 5, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Freedom Fries

May 5, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

why do americans celebrate cinco de mayo when mexicans themselves don't even celebrate it? we should actually celebrate dieciséis de septiembre, the real mexican independence day. although it doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.

May 5, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh, this is why. interesting.

May 5, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yes but MADianito now we know that cinco de mayo was invented in california.

May 5, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

california is mexico

May 5, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

just another imperialist misadventure of Amerikkka out of 270 other wars done for the same reasons since the purchase of Louisiana

you could imagine the people of Mexico calibrating this holiday?! ya right first we come rape and pillage the whole continent then bring slaves then fight with the neighbors to get away from monarchy then we kill those same neighbors and steal 1/2 their country WTF.

usa has a racist imperialist past/present to reckon with i hope Obama is the man to do it.

May 5, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what the hell is obama going to do?

give the southwest back to mexico?
maybe ..

and would that appease your guilt?

May 5, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

One would calibrate the holiday by shots of tequila consumed, perhaps? Or is that how one celebrates?

May 5, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
ZipGUN

You know, for me, I find that nothing heightens my enjoyment of a festive celebration quite like getting together with bunch of anti-fun buzzkill types and just scrutinizing the crap out of it.

May 5, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yes we can!

May 5, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahahahahaha!!! comment of the day goes to zipgun!

May 5, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

that is a good question and worth discussing how to repair the damage done by authoritarians in power of the country. but maybe better for another thread. as it is time to party QUE VIVA!

how repressive do you think the police will be this year is the real question. they are the real buzz killers always trinna stop people from having a good time.

May 5, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

muy bien, i'll throw back a shot and take it to 'vote obama'!

May 5, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

lol zipgun right on man

May 5, 08 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yeah, zipgun you're cracking me up. Have a fun holiday however you choose to celebrate (or calibrate)!

May 5, 08 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i ended up having a great time went to a Pinniata party , it was of the local Sheriff who runs tent city and does racial profiling to look for immigrants.

then off to a release party of a friends 6th edition of his new magazine.
The Hidden Agenda

May 6, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what is .. the hidden agenda?

May 6, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Seriously, if you need an officially sanctioned, historic, fucking national holiday to party and celebrate and celebrate your culture, you have problems.

May 6, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hey man

i don't have problems, i was just curious

May 6, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i wasn't dissing anybody in particular, i was just makin' a statement

i was curious too for the record

May 6, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i do think antisthenes probably has some problems though, probably better see a shrink

May 6, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
www.thehiddenagenda.com

the HELL !?!?

(warning: not work-safe linky)

May 6, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i agree there is a problem, a reckoning with the past and present for the mixed native American culture as a whole, at least in north America, south America seems to have their ish together culturally with that Bolivarianism. I know they are trying and that it is not easy, especially with this commodified holiday.

haha that is not the magazine if i find a link i will let you know, in fact i think scanning the magazine or asking for an original PDF would be best.

/me goes to see an inflater.

May 6, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

if the magazine is revealed does the agenda no longer become hidden?

May 6, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

good question. i think there will always be a new hidden agenda even as each sequential one is revealed/released.

May 6, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

I drank a shitload of margaritas & shot of patron last night...thank goodness I took off work today

May 6, 08 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: