Archinect
anchor

ARCHITECTURE - ARE YOU INTO THE PROCESS OR THE FINAL PRODUCT?

dj_design89

This thing had bugged me since i've been dismissed from architecture school as i'm now re-figuring things out of what i'm gonna do next with my life. the thing is, in the first place i was interested in architecture was always because of the final product - the building of course (usually because of the look -form, shape, etc). whenever i came across certain buildings that's captured my eyes and my heart, i tend to "wow! really wished to come out with this kind of idea/form". but whenever i got to do the design work (the process), it doesn't really excite me. with the building regulation constraint, the construction and technical constraints (plus i'm also not good in technical stuffs), etc. is this not a good sign if we really want to be in architecture?

Jun 7, 13 10:40 am
curtkram

can you get to the final product without the process?  if you wanted to get a building built, how would you get there, or what do you think you would be doing on a day to day basis?  you're not one of those people who like to color and think that's the extent of what an architect does right?

maybe you could consider going into facilities management or maintenance.  those people work directly with the building every day, with less of the front end work like building codes and gravity.  since the building is already built, most of that stuff has been already been worked out.

or construction.  they're pretty hands-on with the building.  i wouldn't be a general contractor, as what they do is often a fair bit removed from the actual building.  site superintendent could be good though.

Jun 7, 13 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Mel Gib'son's Polyverse

You should become a sculpture, or a painter.  These people can be artistic without the constraints.  You don't need to make buildings; you just need buildings to love.

Jun 7, 13 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Mel Gib'son's Polyverse

Forgot that last sentence :)

Jun 7, 13 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
observant

How can you separate the two?  The end sort of justifies the means ... at least in this case.

Here's one that gets to me.  When displaying your portfolio, a lot of people can deduce your ability, or lack thereof, by seeing the final presentations and make comments accordingly.  I once talked to this one artsy-fartsy guy who was interested in "process."  I know the dude.  He's weird, at least to me and a few others.  If I see a halfway decent project, it's just sort of implicit that there was half a trash can full of sketches and intermediate test prints. 

Jun 7, 13 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Sorry for the digression.  If you are CERTAIN that you are NOT interested in the technical aspects of building and can't be converted into being interested in these aspects, then architecture is probably not for you.

When I was not even a teenager, I would stand there at the front of a grand movie palace in my city and, not only admire the beautiful curve of the balcony, but wondered how much it weighed, how the walls enabled the balcony to be supported, and how they made sure the steps were enough so people form all the seats could see the screen.

If that part of the equation doesn't excite you, even a little, pick a "softer" design discipline.  Even landscape architecture has some technical areas such as biology, botany, ecology, and sustainability, but it might be worth looking into.

Jun 7, 13 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
dj_design89

@Mel Gib'son's Polyverse,

funny, after i've been kicked out, one of my architecture lecturer suggested me to take sculpture/painting/fine art degree too as he saw me that i have a very conceptual expressions and ideas but not really into technical stuffs. haha

Jun 8, 13 12:46 am  · 
 · 
natematt

How can you separate the two?  The end sort of justifies the means ... at least in this case.

Here's one that gets to me.  When displaying your portfolio, a lot of people can deduce your ability, or lack thereof, by seeing the final presentations and make comments accordingly.  I once talked to this one artsy-fartsy guy who was interested in "process."  I know the dude.  He's weird, at least to me and a few others.  If I see a halfway decent project, it's just sort of implicit that there was half a trash can full of sketches and intermediate test prints.

^that

I think there is something to be said for good process, but i think it's implicit in good outcomes. the other way around is not true. Show me process, and I don't know if you can make an outcome. Show me both, that's fine, but don't weight the process over the outcome, that's an obvious problem in my mind.

Jun 8, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: