Archinect
anchor

information architect

rootseven

anyone else get annoyed when they hear a job title described as "information architect"?

Apr 25, 08 6:11 pm
crowbert

I'd like to get paid like an information architect.

Apr 25, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
philipb

I dont mind. Its a legitimate position and use of the word, and besides - its hardly the first in the IT industry to use the term.

Apr 25, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

previously

Short Answer: yes, it's annoying, and it pollutes job listings, especially given the sometimes overzealous attempts by our professional organizations to regulate the term 'architect'.

Long Answer: the oganization of, and interactions with, information systems (and systems in general) is arguably more important, more groundbreaking, and more interesting than the design of buildings. If the people who do this seriously are stuck on using built space as a metaphor, then they're only limiting themselves and their thinking.

Apr 26, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
2step

The word architecture while used to describe the act of building and design character of buildings is only one definition of the word. The word architecture also refers to the underlying order, organization or structure of anything such as the architecture of the human body, the architecture of a web site etc.

Apr 26, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

and it sounds cool, which is surely the real reason. Don't get me started on how every other profession can freely use the word in their title, but anyone that is in the profession of 'architecture' cannot.

Apr 27, 08 8:25 am  · 
 · 

That's only through extension, Jack, architecture was building first.

Apr 27, 08 8:45 am  · 
 · 
2step

Exactly. Architecture was the underlying order of building first before the character of buildings first. Thus the term architecture means one thing to everyone else.

Apr 27, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the ONLY time i give a shit is when job search sites - and their shitty search algorithms - can't discern one from the other.

Apr 27, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Beta – that’s because they have a shitty information architect involved in building the information that is used to generate the search engine. Oh, wait a minute, most projects don't bother hiring an information architect. So you get what you pay for.

Trace, you make a really good point about who can use the term "architect". The IT industry has been discussing certification for a number of years. The proposal is that those who pass can call themselves Architects (i.e. Technical, Information, System, etc). Unfortunately, there hasn't been a push or regulation to do examination/certification in the industry which is sad.

Apr 27, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

People in IT, never call themsleves solely an Architect or have on their business cards just the title, Architect. It's always used in conjunction with another word, ie Information or Systems. If it were used alone, then yes, it would be stupid and a misrepresentation of the word/title.

With Architecture, being a multi-disciplinary profession, it would only make sense that the word Architect is treated the same.

Apr 28, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

I used to be a Sandwich Architect at Robert's Fresh Baked Deli.

Apr 28, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

If you want a practice act, and you don't want to dilute the title, you shouldn't allow this fake "___ architect" nonsense. I know if I started calling myself an Interior Architect I would expect a large fine, and rightly so. But by some of the arguments here that would be ok?

IMO, you have to enforce it across the board.

Apr 29, 08 7:13 am  · 
 · 
trace™

That would make sense. See, they can't control anyone but those that are seeking licensure as an architect, so they go after us, not any other profession.

Apr 29, 08 8:59 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

It is a legit title..deal with it...there a much bigger issues you will deal with in your life. I agree with Beta though...job searches should be able to discern a difference...other than that it is a non issue.

Apr 29, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Thought I would share this recent article, The 10 hottest IT jobs, I just read.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/career/?p=304

"4. Architects of All Stripes

All varieties of architects are in strong demand today, but there is a special need for those who can help organizations ramp up their burgeoning service-level architecture deployments."

Honestly though, in the end... who cares. If anything, it does pollute the job searches like some of you mentioned.

Apr 29, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

And don’t forget the (building) architects who refer to themselves as information architects.

Apr 30, 08 12:17 am  · 
 · 
philipb
http://www.hemel.dircon.co.uk/

.... information architecture architecture ?

I kinda like that - "I'm an information architecture architect"

Citrus - I'm unfamiliar with the people you posted, could you please enlighten me?

May 2, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yea guys lets have the AIA of NCARB (or whatever organization monitors the use of the work architect) go and sue Microsoft, Google, Oracle, HP and who ever uses the term.

At least that way us non-licensed guys can call ourselves architects.

May 2, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: