Archinect
anchor

Drinking & Architecture

Thecyclist
"Getting 'hammered' in college taught me one very important lesson... know your limits."

Exactly, how can you know your limit without reaching it?
Jun 3, 13 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

@curtkram: for many whiskeys, a bit of water helps a lot; now what kind of water...

Jun 4, 13 11:25 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Adding just a dash of water to whisky opens up the flavor considerably, especially for cask-strength varieties (higher than 80 proof in the bottle). Just a little, though. Too much water and you lose it entirely. You want to dilute it down to about 60 proof so the alcohol doesn't overwhelm the taste.

Unless you live in a place where tap water is bottled and sold to other places (e.g. Seattle, etc.), use bottled water at room temperature to add to whisky. Whisky should never be chilled, and ice messes with its flavor. Scotch "on the rocks" is a satanic abomination that should be avoided at the peril of your mortal soul.

If ordering in a bar, just ask for it "neat." That means whisky, in a glass, room temperature, with just the right amount of water to open the flavor but no more, and nothing else. Or order it straight with a water bottle on the side and add your own to taste.

Jun 4, 13 11:43 am  · 
 · 

gwharton i almost always add a splash of water.

typically i am a bourbon man when drinking liqour but had a 12 yr glenlivet i really enjoyed last week. also am always partial to a cold gin and tonic or dirty martini with blue cheese stuffed olives.

re: beer i like quality craft beers on draft but often after work (or as a chaser for bourbon) will just have a cheap Budweiser (original not light, black premium etc...)

Jun 4, 13 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

David Cole your no longer "Living in Gin"? 

Jun 4, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

I decided it was time to start projecting a more professional image online. We'll see how long this experiment lasts.

Jun 4, 13 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Improving your virtual image without concern for your real one?

Jun 4, 13 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

He'll always be LiG to us old timers.

Jun 4, 13 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Scotch

Jun 4, 13 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Templeton's Rye on the rocks

Shiner Bock beer

MacMurray Russian River Pinot

Jun 5, 13 11:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: