Archinect
anchor

I hate this recession

da_la

Besides Archinect Job posting...Craigslist, Simplyhired, Monster, Local AIA, Architecture school posting, Friends & Family..Does anyone have any other ideas how to find an architectural designer position? (Los angeles/NYC...Portland?)

Suggestions welcome. Sarcasm not.

May 24, 11 12:29 am
toasteroven

you sound frustrated - we've all been there.  I entered the profession during the dot-com bust - I was sending out 10 resumes a week for 3 months.

you will have to work all your contacts, ex profs, friends, family - the first step is to let everyone in your circle know you're looking for work.  there are positions available right now - but since there are a lot of out-of-work people, firms are not going to advertise until they've exhausted all of their network.

second step:  expect maybe 1 interview for every 10-20 resumes sent out.  you will probably send out a couple hundred if this is for your first job - but I'd first target firms you really want to work for - you could get lucky.

in the meantime - try to find part-time work.

good luck!

May 24, 11 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Do you have any hobbies that could be, temporarily, at least, your vocation?

May 24, 11 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

I'm in a similar situation. Only tip I know which a lot of people over look is you can post your resume on Craigslist. I do this all the time. I posted it up last week and got 3 hits. One for civil engineering (idk why they contacted me), one for a small-time construction company, and one for some contract CAD work. No architecture hits, but still...it's better than nothing.

May 24, 11 9:30 am  · 
 · 
da_la

toasteroven...not frustrated (although 8 month of unemployment can be..), just trying to see if im missing any 'methods' with my job search. anyhow, thanks for the advice.

May 24, 11 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Stars + Stripes

da_la

try your city building department.  maybe try the school board of the county in which you live?  i know they sometimes need architects and junior designers.  also, try usa.gov.  i saw they had openings a month ago for junior staff in the DC area.  these may be some options to consider - you just never know it may end up being a good opportunity.  good luck with your search!

May 25, 11 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

First I sympathize with your plight I am looking for work and have been since mid 2008, I had 12 interviews and tons of applications.

I have recently read what Color is your parachute By Richard N. Bolles

It is very good

Finding a job:

Online adds even here at Archinect 7% effective

Create a book mark folder on your web browser of all the key firms you want to work for and check on their available positions twice a week. 10% effective don’t wait for ads to pop up.

Look up firms in the phonebook or online call them and or visit and ask if they can hire you to do the specific things your skills should enable you to do (remember be a problem solver and make them money) up to 69% effective.  This requires some courage. Also works for small firms under 70 people

Form a job hunting club work with a team and scour the job market for work.

Up to 70% effective

The book has a much more detailed explanation of these methods and more.

After reading this book I am retooling my job search, I still do online adds but I am spending more time developing a brief demonstration of my core skills, Revit, SketchUp, model building. I am also trying to do as much freelance work as possible so that I “look busy and in demand”.  I recently called and dropped in on a firm, although I did not land a job, they have me on file to help out when a deadline crunch happens (I told them I am cheaper than lots of overtime) and I can now pursue clients that might need an architect’s seal since I can land the client as the designer and collaborate with said firm on the aspects that need a registered professionals oversight.  This gives me the chance to do more freelance work knowing that I have a reputable firm that I can work with when the project involves thing beyond my professional abilities. It is by no means a closure to my career interruption but it is interesting how the first and only stab at dropping in has changed my outlook on my future prospects. If I land a few jobs that the architecture firm and I collaborate on I might get an offer to be a full time permanent fixture at that firm.

Remember solve their problems and make them money, that is what they need first, personality, and being a nice person to be around is also important.

May 26, 11 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: