Archinect
anchor

Graduate School in Other Countries

Hello everyone

I am currently enrolled in a B.Arch program (I will be entering my second year this fall). I've been thinking about grad school because I'm the type of person who likes to think ahead. I mean, I'm not making any commitments at this point, just doing some basic research. I am interested in continuing my education of architecture after my undergrad studies, I know that for sure. I'm a little interested in a few universities here in the USA (Tulane and Wisconsin-Milwaukee), but I want to know what it's like to receive education outside of the states. I've heard from people I know that went to school in other countries that it's better. I've also read online that it's better and cheaper. It's just so overwhelming to begin looking at colleges in other countries. Being of French ancestry, the place I would most like to go is France. The thing that makes it the most difficult is understanding what a B.Arch will mean to French architecture schools and then will any degree I earn there mean anything here. If anybody has any experience of info, I would appreciate some help.

Jared

May 26, 13 1:52 pm
rrnkenshin

Hi Jared,

I've been looking out for info on grad programs in France for my girlfriend. I've had a long time studying french also (12years). From what I've heard from friends studying architecture in Paris, the Paris Belle-ville is one of the best in France. Besides, tuition is free for public schools. The cost of living in Paris is approximately 10.000USD/year.

May 26, 13 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

With a B.Arch degree, I assume you could apply to Master de Recherche programs in France, something similar to Post-professional programs in the US, which are heavily research-oriented programs. And those are programs that my friends recommend me to apply to as I hold a 5-year B.Arch degree.

May 26, 13 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
jaredlussier

Unfortunately the language was never taught in my household (and if it had been it would have been Canadian), but at this point I have time to learn it and become pretty good at it. Tuition would be free even for an American student? And that's good information, thank you! I will begin to investigate more as the time comes nearer.

May 27, 13 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Some basic comments:

Kudos to your idea to study abroad and in particular, your interest in doing it in a foreign language. That's actually quite rare amongst american students.

If you're serious though, you need to start learning now. As someone who's gone through a somewhat similar path, I'd say you need about two years of dedicated language learning to get to an adequate level. What that means is taking classes, reading books/newspapers in your target language, watching french films (at first with eng subtitles, then with french subtitles.. or also vice versa, watch your favourite english programs with french subtitles), getting to know people who you can speak the language with (french boyfriend or girlfriend?), and ideally, spending some time immersed in the language (even if for you that means a trip to Quebec, rather than France).

As for qualifications, your B.Arch will already permit you to become licensed in the USA, so any education gleaned in France will be "bonus". How that extra education will be viewed by future employers in America however, I can't say. Depending which degree you come out with in France, you could also end up practicing there, although visas and immigration laws will play a role.

Generally, higher education in continental Europe is free/quite affordable, but keep in mind that the costs of living can still be rather high. Truth is, Europe-wide the economy isn't great for architects, and that squeeze is most evident at the entry-level. France in particular suffers from a highly educated, underemployed, class of "generation-intern"s, who skip around from one poorly paying internship (we're talking less than 500 euro per month) to the next for years before establishing themselves. The French students can (barely) cope with it thanks to their (in our eyes at least) generous welfare-state and lack of debts to pay-off. And the rest of us? Well, lets just say that 500 euros a month doesn't get you very far..

May 28, 13 4:38 am  · 
 · 
jaredlussier

I have already begun looking into courses and other methods of learning the language. I had not thought about the newspapers/movies idea - I think that's great and I will do that. I do know a few people who speak the language, I'm sure they could help me out.

My big thing was being able to practice in France, because I'm thinking about possible going there to stay. I am also considering school in/moving to Canada, as that is my direct line of ancestry. Apples and Oranges of course, but another option I'm willing to pursue.

That is unfortunate, but I have the confidence to believe I could make it!

May 30, 13 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: