Archinect
anchor

Details Magazine in English

I saw today that they're going to start publishing an English version of Details, which has been said on this page to be an amazing magazine.

My questions for those of you that get/read the German version is if these english editions are back-copies of the German with a full translation , or do they appear to be completely new issues. The release titles don't correspond to the German edition of the same month. Do you think it would be better to drop the cash for the German version for more up-to-date articles with the provided English summary (is this adequate?), or get the English version which may have older articles but will have complete translations?

I could probably go with either option financially, because I think I may be able to get my office to pay for the subscription out of my continuing education fund ($500/year) - I would just have to get it delivered to the office address instead of at home.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 16, 04 10:28 am
Mason White

With DETAILS magazine, timeliness is less important than its stunning in-depth study of construction, techniques, and, uh, well, details. I dont know how they are planning to do the all-English version ... but
You do know that currently it does exist in both English and German in each issue (thoug not entirely translated, but its all about drawings anyway. right).
But if you really want to catch up on past issues ... you should get the Construction Manual series from Birkhauser: Concrete, Steel, Glass, etc. They are very pricey but will not disappoint as they re-assembled issues of DETAILS.

p.s. nice deal on the 'continuing education fund,' sounds like a good setup there.

Sep 16, 04 10:53 am  · 
 · 

Here's the website for those not aware:

http://www.detail.de/En/Aktuell/Index

I'm aware that the German version has English summaries, just not sure if it would be better to have a complete translation versus just the partial. Plus never having access to the magazine before, I wasn't sure if the possible time-lapse would be something to take into serious consideration.

And the continuing education fund is pretty nice, along with the full health insurance and majority of dental.

Sep 16, 04 11:04 am  · 
 · 
A

Pixel, mind if I ask where you work? Been a long time since I've been to the dentist.

Sep 16, 04 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
wyoming81

I get the magazine in the abreviated translation mode, but I must admit it is at times frustrating because some articles that would appear to be great are not translated. It is worth it for the details tough, although you have to know a fair amount about construction to get much out of them. Outherwise it is difficult to understand the significance of some of the resolutions to the design problems.

Sep 17, 04 12:52 am  · 
 · 
bigness

learn a foreign language you bunch of learning-challanged americans.

Sep 17, 04 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

just kidding.

Sep 17, 04 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: